PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Scirocco Scala - Start problem?

VWJohn81
20-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I have just brought a 1990 Scirocco Scala 1.8i and when you start it it takes ages to fire up and sounds awful - give it a little throttle and it starts better but ya sound like a plank revving the car when its cold :( Also there is a slight grown and lead on after its started.

I was wondering if this is a starter motor issue or something else?

I used to have a mk2 golf 1.6 driver and that started on a dime! - it was ace!

Any suggestions??

yellow-160
24-11-2009, 09:57 PM
if the engines turning over wont be starter motor, if its just started recently id go for easy options first!

Plugs and leads... cold damp weather never helps!

then theres the auto choke... take forever to start then run like a bag of spuds till its warm then it will be fine! again u notice it more in the winter with the colder weather!

VWJohn81
24-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Cool - thanks for your advice - I shall go investigate :D

yellow-160
24-11-2009, 10:48 PM
prob find its the choke but new plugs n leads never go far wrong!!

onzarob
24-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I would guess its the cold start valve, the injection system is the Bosch mechanical system the same as the MK1 Golf. Do a search on i tshould become clearer;)

f45t gti
08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
best thing to do is go to an engine tuners or mot centre and borrow or rent their gas analyser to see what the fuelling is doing from cold it sounds like its miles too rich which can be adjusted out using the idle co adjustment screw beware though unlike a carb out is less fuel in is more i would suggest sticking in the alan key turn it half a turn out and start the car keep going at half turn intervals untill it sounds nice but make sure you record how many turns out you have gone so you can re set it if needs be. then once happy to be safe go back in half a turn to make it a little richer then get it checked with a gas analyser or lambda probe to make sure its safe

lds
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
It's the cold start. Mine does exactly the same.