PDA

View Full Version : Question Vibration

jgoodman00
20-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I have a weird vibration problem which seems to come and go and occur with varying degrees of severity.

On wednesday it got so bad I stopped and called the RAC out. At the time I was suffering terrible vibration and when stationary I could not turn the wheel fully to the right (I could only turn it about a 1/4 turn!). In addition there was a terrible clunking noise when turning the wheel. By the time the RAC person had turned up the worst of the vibration had gone (as if cooling down helped it), but the knocking/clunking remained.

The RAC person diagnosed a failed cv joint so I had that replaced yesterday. This morning the noise etc has gone, but a vibration was coming and going sometimes at 50mph, sometimes at 60. During my hour journey I reckon the vibration was present from 10-15mins and then vanished again.

I was thinking wheel balance, but previously when I have had balance issues it has always been at a certain speed, and easily reproduced?

Any ideas?

martin1810
20-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Simple things first. Check all tyres for any side wall damage, bulges etc. Get tyres balance if no tyres damaged. You could get the wheels balanced on the car which is much better. After that you are looking at mechanicals which is probably best done by a mechanic used to VW suspension.

cat
20-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Simple things first. Check all tyres for any side wall damage, bulges etc. Get tyres balance if no tyres damaged. You could get the wheels balanced on the car which is much better. After that you are looking at mechanicals which is probably best done by a mechanic used to VW suspension.

I'll second Martin on the tyre's, i spent serious £££'s on a previous car whice was vibrating, evantually i found it was a damaged tyre ( steel wiring had collapsed ), so please check out your tyres first.