PDA

View Full Version : Avant roof rail cleaner

phil2209
20-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I have a 54 plate Avant and the roof rails (the silver ones) are looking a bit tired and tarnished. Does anyone know of a good cleaner?

Cheers
Phil :)

fourringsrus
20-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi Phil,I could be wrong but when chatting to a service manager at Audi he told me that a lot of the chrome effect finishes are prone to looking tarnished and theres not much you can do about it.
However if you are carefull you can get good results with typical metal polishes so long as your rails aren't too far gone
Hope this is helpfull
Stuart

:beerchug:

phil2209
21-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for that.

I did hear that WD40 is supposed to bring them back to life. May give that a go. Especially as I have some in the garage and don't have to go out and buy anything.

Col
21-11-2009, 11:22 AM
The rails are aluminium and will polish up nicely BUT it is hard work. The window trims suffer the same as well, again they polish up but it is hard work.

I had to restore the whole lot on my A6 when I got it, what I did was;

Used some Farecla G6 rubbing compound on a mini drill mounted mop and went for it! I then mopped it again with some G3 and then hand polished with some Autosol.

Allow a good Saturday morning to do this and then once done simply make sure you do two things;

1, Make sure you keep them waxed
2, Make sure you don't allow strong cleaners such as TFR (traffic film remover) to come in contact with them, in fact don't use it.

Here is a link to the Farecla website.
http://www.farecla.com/automotive-products.html
You wont get this stuff in Halfords but a good motor factors should have the compounds and a mini mop.

Using normal pollish will not do anything by the way, I tried and tried.