PDA

View Full Version : A6 1.8T rattle / clicking after releasing accelerator

torrox
03-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

This is my 3rd post tonight... still the best car i've owned though :D

My 1.8T has developed a clicking / rattle after releasing the accelerator :confused: There's plenty of power on acceleration and the car seems to drive fine??? This noise is the same even sitting stationary and reving / releasing the accelerator.

I've also started to get a wining noise from the power stearing on full lock. The power stearing fluid level is showing full so i'm at a loss as to what it could be. :beerchug:
Anyones thoughts on the above would be much appreciated!
Cheers to Stuart for a great FORUM!!!! :beerchug:

Cambrai
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi,
My 1999 1.8T SE had very similar symptoms with regard to rattling noises when easing off the accelerator. Initial diagnosis from my local garage was the Catalytic convertor damaged and the ceramics rattling. It was, however, eventually identified as the Turbo which was replaced under warranty (phew!!).

Steve

shooey88
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
if ur power steering level is ok..then look at your belt that rubs off your power steering pump...whining noise could be coming from one of the pulleys that runs off the power steering belt..ie alternaltor pulley is a common cause....or a bearing in your power steering pump itself. possibly the tensioner for ribbed belt faulty. lots of possibilities. get someone to listen when turning the steering for where exaclty the sound is coming from?

torrox
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks both of you! although i'm a little scared now. Off to the garage for a further look TBC....