PDA

View Full Version : A6 drivers window sticking

torrox
03-05-2007, 09:47 PM
My A6 1.8t's drivers window is slow and sticking on and off. I spotted another thread but the link in the thread further down has a fault and the pictures have gone :( .. does anyone have any pictures or a different link??? ta ;)

dieselal
10-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Had exactly the same problem on my 2002 a6.Rear windows were sticking all the time.Put some wynns silicone spray into the felt runners all down the sides of the windows and they will work perfectly. Seems like a common Audi fault.Do not use wd/40 as it dries out and cracks the runners.The wynns product is made especially for sticking windows.;)

torrox
10-05-2007, 09:19 PM
:beerchug: Thanks I'll take a look.

chrisroffey
12-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I looked into mine. It turned out that the green plastic window runner clip had broken. Audi dont do these separate, you have to buy the whole window regulator. I found this part number and ordered it, 4BO 837 463. I think its listed as being for an A3. Apart from the colour it looks almost the same but I have yet to try to fit it. Going to have a pop this afternoon. Will let you know what happens.

torrox
12-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I've used a silicon spray as suggested by dieselal. It took a fair old amount and mainly about 4" from the top but after allowing it the dry off a little and running the window up and down a few times it seems to be working fine now...
Hopefully that'll do it.

Good luck with the runner clip!

Any chance of taking some pictures of the job and posting them up for all to see...? :beerchug:

It would make a big difference. If we all did that with the jobs we did we'd have our own HAYNES like FORUM for all the regular jobs! Hows about it Stuart.... This would be the mother of all forums. It's the dogs B's already :biglaugh:

chrisroffey
12-05-2007, 11:34 PM

Done the job. Worked a treat. Both windows work fine now. I have tried to add some pics of the bits but I'm not sure if it has worked. The pink one is the new runner. You can see that it is slightly different and I had to cut 2 little nipples off the blue clip so they would fit together, but other than that they are practically the same.
I think you can tell if your clips are broken if you put the window half way up and then try to pull up by hand. If there is give in it then the clip is more than likely broken.
Hope this helps somebody.
Cheers.

Niall76
14-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Excellent Chris. I have to take my door apart (passenger side) this weekend but unfortunately I think the cable has snapped on mine. I can hear it make a crunching sort of noise. Pretty bummed.

Was it easy to get at everything?

If my cable has snapped it looks like I'll have to drill out the rivits I can see in your photos. Although I have a pop rivitter so hopefully it'll all go back properly?

chrisroffey
14-05-2007, 08:23 PM
The door panel panel is just 2 screws at either side then it just lifts up and off. The cable is on the inside so its quite awkward to get in at without lifting out the whole regulator setup, but this is only 4 bolts which are Torx 40 or 45(cant quite remember now), and a couple of small screws at the top on either side. I was surprised how easy was but I didnt go as far as seeing how the cable was fitted.
Good Luck
Chris

Niall76
15-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Cheers - I'll be doing it this weekend - I'll let you know how I get on.

AJO
16-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Excellent Chris. I have to take my door apart (passenger side) I think the cable has snapped on mine.

use a chocolate block electrical connector, screw each side up tightly to either end of the cable and this should work as a make do job.

been done on a few solenoids in the past for boot releases...

Niall76
16-05-2007, 01:45 PM
That's an excellent idea!

Cheers for that one.

torrox
16-05-2007, 08:29 PM

Done the job. Worked a treat. Both windows work fine now. I have tried to add some pics of the bits but I'm not sure if it has worked. The pink one is the new runner. You can see that it is slightly different and I had to cut 2 little nipples off the blue clip so they would fit together, but other than that they are practically the same.
I think you can tell if your clips are broken if you put the window half way up and then try to pull up by hand. If there is give in it then the clip is more than likely broken.
Hope this helps somebody.
Cheers.

Thanks for the pictures and details chrisroffey! Mine is working fine again now after using some silicon spray but the added bonus now is i also know how to take off the door panel :biglaugh:

:beerchug:

p111fro
10-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Excellent info on the replacement window parts, picked them up from Audi this morning £9.50 for four, fitted them in about 30 minutes per side, now both front windows are working correctly.

Thanks again for posting the photos and the part numbers, I think this will be very useful to a lot of A6 owners

bentley0412
20-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Excellent info on the replacement window parts, picked them up from Audi this morning £9.50 for four, fitted them in about 30 minutes per side, now both front windows are working correctly.

Thanks again for posting the photos and the part numbers, I think this will be very useful to a lot of A6 owners
Hi, Did Audi supply the clips without the regulator as a previous thread said they didn't(Do you have a part number)? Any chance of a quick description on how to do the job? Cheers.