PDA

View Full Version : engine been stud

e6m6a6
03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Got a slavage car couple of weeks ago, 98 polo 1.4 L
today was the first time i tuke it on the road to see if it would drive straight (it did!) the first time it had moved in 8 months
but it was horrible to drive, the whole car was juddery and revs had to kept high to keep it going and the smell of the exhaust was nasty.
i need your opinion on how to get it ticking over nicey again.
i know about my throttle body and injectors and even the simple change of fuel.
is there anything else i need to know as i have never worked on a polo before and have no haynes manuals or anything, are they prone for such things that need to be checked to achive the pur once again?

shooey88
08-05-2007, 09:19 PM
accelerate to keep going will be a throttle body fault...if car suffers from erratic idle and stalling....check to see if throttle is dirty. common fault.
juddering..is it the engine juddering?..has it got a misfire? ht leads?
or is the whole car juddering as if its got wheels out of balance
or bent drive shaft?
how come it salvaged?
the polos are solid cars and engines very reliable. the car is ideal example of a trustworthy vw

e6m6a6
08-05-2007, 11:28 PM
oh no the car was only the juddering as the engine was so unsure of itself and struggled with minor tasks like setting off on a hill start like it was ready to die as soon as load was put on the engine, but a push to the throttle soons settled it but revs must be kept high on setting of or she dies , but it has been stud awhile and has crappy fuel inside so i have cancel out a few simple problems before i get to the serious stuff.
When i first got the car it was only firing on 3 pistons but sorted that out with a good clean of the sparks and ticks over nicly untill it is driven with a bit of force.
Its been salvaged due to a bump to the n/s rear of the vehicle, looks like previous owner bumped into a pole or something, i have cheaked to see if the vehicle pulls and if anything is bent but the body it offline so that will give me false reading just by looking.

i have stuck a bit of choke/carb cleaner down the throttle as i have not has time to take it to bits yet but cant really tell any different when its on tick over.