PDA

View Full Version : Q5 Towbar fitting

MrPhilT
18-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Just went to get a Westfalia towbar fitted today. Ordered it through a reputable firm. The Audi garage used them to fit the towbar on my Q7. However the firm said that there was an issue with fitting towbars on the Q5. Apparently they have to change the fans on the ECU otherwise you get all sorts of weird Electronic issues. It seems to be an attempt by Audi to control the after sales market.
Wondered if anyone knows anything about this. It seems insane that I have to pay £2,000 or more for a towbar. :mad::mad:

Phil

onemanparty
22-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Just went to get a Westfalia towbar fitted today. Ordered it through a reputable firm. The Audi garage used them to fit the towbar on my Q7. However the firm said that there was an issue with fitting towbars on the Q5. Apparently they have to change the fans on the ECU otherwise you get all sorts of weird Electronic issues. It seems to be an attempt by Audi to control the after sales market.
Wondered if anyone knows anything about this. It seems insane that I have to pay £2,000 or more for a towbar. :mad::mad:

Phil

This is the same for A4, A5 & Q5 - You need a new fan and I believe the back of the car needs strengthing - I know its to late now but for these vehicles factory fit is a must

a8 tech
22-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I have covered this in depth in the B8 forum for part numbers and which models
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74833&highlight=tow+bar

slime101
18-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Where did £2000 come from for the tow bar from Audi - in the 09/10 brochure for the current the Towing Equipment is £650.

No mention of strengthened rear-end, or uprated fans. Sounds like rubbish if you ask me!

onemanparty
18-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Where did £2000 come from for the tow bar from Audi - in the 09/10 brochure for the current the Towing Equipment is £650.

No mention of strengthened rear-end, or uprated fans. Sounds like rubbish if you ask me!

No its £2000 to fit if you do not get it from Audi as a Factory fit so £650 is a bargin

slime101
18-02-2010, 09:52 PM
As ok, i wasnt sure.

What about aftermarket though, can anyone actually confirm these upgrades to fans and stuff??

Also when it mentions tow equipment in the brochure it says manual and swivelling....*** does that mean?

PWF
17-04-2013, 07:58 PM
This is the same for A4, A5 & Q5 - You need a new fan and I believe the back of the car needs strengthing - I know its to late now but for these vehicles factory fit is a must

I ordered a Q5 with a factory bar but found a major problem - unless the car and caravan is in line and on the level (not possible on most sites) there is not enough room to get the stabiliser caravan hitch on and off as it hits the bumper, neither the supplier or audi has the answer (found them both unhelpful and slow to respond)From the centre of the ball to the rear number is 63mm, not sufficient for a large stabiliser caravan hitch! Not a great situation as I bought the car to tow my caravan.

Moodshadow
26-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Hi, been reading some confusion regarding cooling upgrades to Q5's. Some are saying after 2011MY no cooling upgrade was required, is that correct? I have a sept 2011 registered Q5 and considering towing a caravan. I have read a8tech's post but too confusing to me at this time of night. If we are talking £2k for an upgrade the caravan thing might be a no-no. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Blackavant
26-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi Moonshadow,

If your Q5 is indeed a 2011 then it will have all of the necessary upgrades as standard (This was done a standard from Sept 2010 I believe), the easiest way to check is to look in the right hand rear pannel for two plugs wrapped in foam. These are the Tow prep harnesses (1 for tow lights and standard electrics, the other plug for 2nd electrics i.e. fridge power) which means that the fans have been upgraded too.

I fitted a Thule removable towbar myself, it took all of 1 hour and was super simple. Just remember some one will need to VCDS / VAGCOM your car to code it for rear parking sensors etc.

kenhsilver
06-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Had my tow bar fitted by a third party company who came to my work. Great job and now happly using it. Not had any problems at all.

stevebunyan
27-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Spoke to Audi Hull today about fitting a bar to my 09 Q5. The fan upgrade is to the rad fans not Ecu. There is a possibility on engine/ gear box overheating when towing a caravan especially in warmer country's. Easy to monitor via temp gauge. They want £2000 to fit. Best quote for a fixed bar was £350 fitted.

mikeyboy9
12-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I've just got price from Highland Audi in Inverness. £650 for tow bar and electrics and same for fitting to 2011 Q5. £1300.

Bpd84
05-03-2023, 08:59 PM
Hi Moonshadow,

If your Q5 is indeed a 2011 then it will have all of the necessary upgrades as standard (This was done a standard from Sept 2010 I believe), the easiest way to check is to look in the right hand rear pannel for two plugs wrapped in foam. These are the Tow prep harnesses (1 for tow lights and standard electrics, the other plug for 2nd electrics i.e. fridge power) which means that the fans have been upgraded too.

I fitted a Thule removable towbar myself, it took all of 1 hour and was super simple. Just remember some one will need to VCDS / VAGCOM your car to code it for rear parking sensors etc.

Hi there I see you fit your own towbar on the q5 any tips or info on the wiring just bought one for my 2012 with dedicated wiring
Many thanks