PDA

View Full Version : Question Uprated clutch on a mapped 130 tdi

Uxter
18-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Hello chaps, I had my 130 quattro sport remapped by Mark a while back and bloody pleased I am with it too. My cars done 83k now and I am getting a little slip in 6th at full torque.

I have a price for fitting an OEM clutch kit, but was wondering if anyone has any info on uprating the clutch, whether its someone like Sachs or even whether a clutch from further up the range will do the job?

I am presuming that my clutch is just going through wear and tear rather than as a result of the fast road tune (178bhp, cant remember the torque figure) so anyone have any problems using the standard spec?

cheers

Alan

shark_90
18-11-2009, 03:22 PM
A cheaper way would be to use the gearbox rather than blasting full torque through the clutch. My old A4 was sold at 157k with the original clutch in it, mapped for nearly 60k of those miles.

Uxter
18-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Hmm thats rather suggesting that I am abusing the existing clutch, I havent particularly changed my driving style that much and I also had an original A4 quattro with a tuning box on for 40k that I sold on with 148k on it with its original clutch, in fact I havent had a clutch go on a road car for many years. With the clutch already on its way out its rather a moot point anyway, but thanks anyway Dad

So anyone got any other input?

shark_90
18-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I wasn't having a go, just trying to save you some money! I know JabbaSport do uprated clutches for the Skoda boys, it may be worth giving them a shout.

Uxter
18-11-2009, 08:01 PM
no worries, I have one of those sarcastic days that life throws at you and was still in the swing of it when I posted

it does seem that the 130 pd engine is attached to a clutch thats not as up to the job as past models were regardless of what car its in, there seems a lot of people on the net have the problems with either the DMF or clutch wear, my son had similar probs with his 130 ibiza and thats got very little weight in it, even tho he drives like a hooligan.

I know more of us have remapped engines and in my case I do tend to have a bit of weight in the car + 4wd + some fairly rapid trips but I do think that theres little I can do to protect it from the torque in whats already a tight rev range anyway. I have never been a great fan of revving the teets off a car in the past, preffering more torque to outright power, but I suppose its a change to wearing tyres, brakes and suspension out which I am guilty of!

I will certainly try Jabba sport, I am presuming that my clutch wont be different because its a quattro?

shark_90
18-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure if they are the same off the top of my head I'm afraid.

Uxter
18-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I had a look on Jabbasports site and they deal in Sachs clutches, they also state that the OEM clutch can handle torque up to 310lbs/ft, the readout I have for my remap was 286.5@ 2600

I know that should have improved slightly from the initial mapping, but I would have thought it should still have been within those limits?

The clutches go by engine code rather than transmission it seems as well judging by Sach's own site.

My garage price for the clutch kit was £200, the Sachs comes in at around £500, thats quite a premium for something I may not actually need, I am all for upgrading, but as usual the need never comes at the right time, I may well see if I can eek it out till happier financial times come along, oops there I go with the sarcasm again!

I would be interested to hear of anyones experiences with sachs clutches vs the oem ones?

cheers

Clinterous
19-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Haven't experienced an upgraded clutch, but can comment on running a remapped car with 228,000 miles on the clock - having done 44,000 since the map- and still running the original factory fitted clutch.

Standard clutch is adequate and VAG usually have their clutches supplied by LUK or SACHS.

'happier financial times' full spectrum meltdown could occur within the next two years.

borabear
09-12-2009, 01:19 AM
With the clutch already on its way out its rather a moot point anyway, but thanks anyway Dad?

Lol, what a c**k..

Shark was only offering his advice, which is usually worth listening to..let me guess, its not what he said but the way that he said it? Woman :Screem:

SebRogers
09-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Lol, what a c**k..

Shark was only offering his advice, which is usually worth listening to..let me guess, its not what he said but the way that he said it? Woman :Screem:

Y'know, one of the things I like about this forum is that, unlike many, it's full of helpful advice and refreshingly free of name-calling and trolling. Mostly.

Seems to me that Shark and Uxter settled this amicably weeks ago. Wading in and hurling abuse achieves what, exactly?

Yeah, I know. Clearly I'm a woman too. But can we keep it civil around here, please?

:beerchug:

benjie
09-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Borabear - read the thread. He apologied. No need to mkae a big deal out of it.

Uxter - I had my 130 pd quattro clutch done about a year ago and I think I remember my mechanic saying he was surprised at the size of it compared to the 130pd Passat clutch (which we all know id a cheap A4!) I've also read about AWX engine sodes using AVF clutches as an easy upgrade.

I know that an upgraded clutch from Sachs for a 140tdi quattro is €1300!

borabear
10-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Y'know, one of the things I like about this forum is that, unlike many, it's full of helpful advice and refreshingly free of name-calling and trolling. Mostly.

Seems to me that Shark and Uxter settled this amicably weeks ago. Wading in and hurling abuse achieves what, exactly?

Yeah, I know. Clearly I'm a woman too. But can we keep it civil around here, please?

I too enjoy this forum for its useful advice and informed chat..however...

I don’t 'troll' thank you, I just comment on what I see. Apologies if my post had caused offence.

PS - Uxter - You can get both a DMF and clutch kit for the 130PD QS, engine code AVF for £300.

Borab0y
10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I am looking to chip my tdi 130 after xmas but I'm am also a concerned about my clutch.

I spoke to the previous owner today, they owned it from 80K mls and did not change the clutch so I assume it is still original, and now at 155Kmls.

So take you bets on how long it will last after the chip....

benjie
10-12-2009, 04:18 PM

I don’t 'troll' thank you, I just comment on what I see. Apologies if my post had caused offence.

PS - Uxter - You can get both a DMF and clutch kit for the 130PD QS, engine code AVF for £300.

Still not actually reading the thread.

Boraboy - my clutch went quite quickly after the remap - at 83k! Though mine's quattro.

borabear
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I am looking to chip my tdi 130 after xmas but I'm am also a concerned about my clutch.

I spoke to the previous owner today, they owned it from 80K mls and did not change the clutch so I assume it is still original, and now at 155Kmls.

So take you bets on how long it will last after the chip....

I'd ;ay a good bet on the clutch slipping within the next few k or so..as even with a modest map the extra torque will prob be enough to upset your clutch!

Mine had a sh*te chip installed when it was a baby, 14k to be exact. The chip was requesting 1.85 bar from a turbo designed to run at 1.5.. (hence the reworked turbo) Previous owner renewed the DMF and clutch at 63k, but alas its time for another one!! :o

The problem (if you can call it a problem) with the quattros is that they don't lose traction like FWD cars which just spin out the extra energy that isn't put down to the tarmac. Instead the 'excess' engergy stays within the drivetrain which puts a tremandous amount of load on to the clutch and flywheel, so for a clutch to last 155k suggests your car had been driven consideratly and not trashed.

You fitted those springs yet btw?

borabear
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Still not actually reading the thread

Again, I apologise for my post as it was wrong of me to name call. :(

Uxter
11-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Well said that man, I must admit to being a little amused by the reply and on leaving it a while before responding I have found someone already has, have a pint on me.....yeah your right you will have to pay for it yourself....

Uxter
11-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Borabear - read the thread. He apologied. No need to mkae a big deal out of it.

Uxter - I had my 130 pd quattro clutch done about a year ago and I think I remember my mechanic saying he was surprised at the size of it compared to the 130pd Passat clutch (which we all know id a cheap A4!) I've also read about AWX engine sodes using AVF clutches as an easy upgrade.

I know that an upgraded clutch from Sachs for a 140tdi quattro is €1300!

my engines an AVF code, I have been gingerly driving of late and havent been doing any stupid late for gig fully loaded thrashes so its been behaving itself, I am hoping it can last until I have robbed a bank early next year!

the false sense of security has lead me to buy a xenon set from hids-direct after a bulb went, when I get the chance to fit I will report if everythings tickety boo on that score, its a tight squeeze getting the bulbs in!

Uxter
11-12-2009, 07:35 PM

is that an uprated one? as my blokey can get the OEM for £200 give or take, its the labour thats the killer! but you know how hard it is to find a garage to trust!

benjie
11-12-2009, 11:41 PM
No, borabear was saying that if you had a 130tdi non-quattro, a nice upgrade could be the clutch from a 130tdi quattro as it's stronger

borabear
12-12-2009, 08:04 AM
No, borabear was saying that if you had a 130tdi non-quattro, a nice upgrade could be the clutch from a 130tdi quattro as it's stronger

Ok, the quattro clutch wont fit the FWD car anyway as the diameter is wrong. The FWD has a 228mm plate where as the quattro is 240mm jobbie.

The DMF and clutch are LUK so they are OEM spec as having looked at both the SACHS and LUK side by side I'd say the build quality and machining is the same. Only real difference is the price tag, OEM DMF alone is £400 +

I myself explored the uprated route as I was going to get my turbo hybrinised (sorry, Im sure thats not the way you spell it) FMIC and another remap. Unfortunately SACHS nor LUK do one for the AVF engine and even if they did it woukd be silly money! :Blush:

Borab0y
12-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Back when I had a Corrado G60 I had a mix of G60 and VR6 clutch, now I also have a 1.8T in a MK1 Golf with a 16v fly, G60 pressure and VR cover.

Is it possable to do similar on the 1.9tdi?

Can you put the fly from a 1.9 quattro or from a 2.5 tdi with the clutches to uprate from standard?

borabear
12-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Back when I had a Corrado G60 I had a mix of G60 and VR6 clutch, now I also have a 1.8T in a MK1 Golf with a 16v fly, G60 pressure and VR cover.

Is it possable to do similar on the 1.9tdi?

Can you put the fly from a 1.9 quattro or from a 2.5 tdi with the clutches to uprate from standard?

Good question, I know both the LUK and suchs are specifically designed to mate with each other so you might not be able to chop and change between those brands.

I think 2.5 plate is bigger and wouldn't fit the 1.9 flywheel...anybody got any ideas on this one?

Borab0y
12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I think 2.5 plate is bigger and wouldn't fit the 1.9 flywheel...anybody got any ideas on this one?

I guess it would be bigger but would the 2.5 flywheel fit a 1.9 crank and fit within the gearbox.

Or, how about the clutch and fly or just clutch from a 2.0 170?

benjie
13-12-2009, 09:01 PM
An interesting discussion to have this, I was always of the opinion of them being far more interchangable than they actually are. I'd love to stick a stronger clutch/dmf on mine in order to get the turbo done etc.

Uxter
14-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I must admit to wondering if a 2.5 clutch would fit? you would think the engine end of things would be the same, ie the crank end.

On the hids, I fitted them but the jurys out, they have some dodgy looking resistors on them and the connectors are made of such flexible plastic that they dont stay together, I will run them for a week and see if they pop out, not as well made as the hids direct ones I had on my allroad, but they are almost half the price, but its only a saving worth having if they are reliable.
I got the 50w ones and they did interfere with the brake warning with a ballast in one position, its ok now, but they are so bright that you can hardly tell when main beams on and thats with 100w mains (these are hids direct MTec bulbs, they seem a bit too blue and I dont think they are really 100w and one seems to have an odd beam pattern, will need to recheck my installation)

borabear
14-12-2009, 11:35 PM
An interesting discussion to have this, I was always of the opinion of them being far more interchangable than they actually are. I'd love to stick a stronger clutch/dmf on mine in order to get the turbo done etc.

I agree as I dont think the std clutch can take much more than 180bhp and with mine being a quattro it slower than the FWD..annoying when you are tooled up for putting those extra horses too the tarmac!!!

Although my new clutch and DMF is going in next week so it might be time for a custom remap LOL :beerchug: