PDA

View Full Version : How often should you wash the car?

peteo
18-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Any ideas on this? I do a relatively low mileage so, sometimes, the car is not even remotely dirty after a week.

Is there any technical/scientific advice on the optimum gap between washes?

paul b
18-11-2009, 12:53 PM
When it's dirty?

Sorry... :p

I've no scientific evidence or whatever but I wash my A6 fortnightly, seems to be just the right interval. It gets used daily. In the winter months, I wash cars more (whilst dodging gaps in the rain and snow!) purely so that any salt or grit on the roads isn't left lingering in the paintwork or the alloys, hence why some people buy "winter alloys".

I then clay bar, polish and wax the car, say every 6 months.

elitedetailer
22-11-2009, 08:11 PM
This question is dependent on many factors. If your car is a standard daily driver then a single weekly wash should be sufficient. However some us cannot help washing our pride and joys every few days. This is also very well as long as you use decent materials and you follow our Car Wash Guide. One thing to remember is that the majority of swirls and other minor scratches are inflicted in the "washing process" of the regime. So for this reason it is especially important to ensure your drying towels are clean before each use.

Regards
EliteDetailer :beerchug:

peteo
23-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the guide from elitedetailer.

I gather sponges are a complete no no - even expensive ones?

elitedetailer
23-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the guide from elitedetailer.

I gather sponges are a complete no no - even expensive ones?

In most cases yes but there are some sea sponges which are pretty good too. They are normally pretty pricey.

Thanks
EliteDetailer :beerchug: