PDA

View Full Version : Key Fobs

Ben
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I have a question about changing key fobs,

Yes i have read the thread about reprogramming but that is not the issue.

When i bought my golf mk5 it came with both sets of keys, great.

However over time they have been subject to wear and tear and one of the tiny VW badges has come off the back revealing a small screw.

I can buy 2 new black fobs off ebay dead easy but how do i go about putting the innards and keys out of my original fobs in to the new fobs off ebay?

thus just renewing the black part of the fob no apparent reprogramming required. innards of one in to casing of another?

Any advice greatfully recieved

Ben

ini
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
On a flip key type remote the blade should be held in by a small pin or sometimes a tiny screw, which is easily tapped out to release the blade.

Under the VW badge you will find your transponder capsule/chip (depending on remote type it may be in the key part of the remote), this also needs to be transfered to your new remote.

Ben
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
This is true

I understand that all moving parts and electronic parts need transfering.

Has this been done before.

Is there a step by step guide?

nicfw
26-05-2007, 07:38 PM
You have found the screw under the VW badge. Undo that screw and separate the two halves of that 'top' casing. You should see the capsule or chip for the transponder that is burnt in for your car either by VAG COM or the ignition switch method. If you cannot get the transponder transferred to the new key, you at least have a shiny new badge from your Ebay key to put in place on your original key.

Ben
26-05-2007, 10:56 PM
thanks for the reply. i'll look into this. Before i undo any screws, I'm assuming that there will be a small circuit board and the led to move in addition to the transponder unit you mention.

geraout
16-09-2007, 09:39 AM
GOLFMK5GTTDI - Did you have any success in moving the innards to the new case?

robbien
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi
Just done this myself as main key was a bit knackered when i bought the car.

Pulled key apart into two bits

Part with 3 button then splits in two to reveal circuit board, it is held on by two plastic posts which have just had the ends burred over probably just with a soldering iron. carefully pick at this with a small screwdriver to lift up the mushroomed top of the post, the board can then be carefully prised off.
carefully replace with your own board and flatten down top of post again to hold it on securely.

Next bit is a bit fiddly - undo the screw and split apart key section (be careful with it and do it over a clean table/desk so as not to lose anything.

this part consists of the blade, the immobiliser transponder, a spring and the button you press to flick the blade out with.

the transponder needs swapping with you one as this is what allows the car to overcome the immobiliser, then take your blade(with button inserted) and insert the spring with the little central bar lined up with the recess inside the release button, then hold this against the side of the key so the end of the spring(with the external arm bit) locates in the corect place(it's fairly obvious). Now the fiddly bit you need to twist the blade in the correct direction to get the spring 'loaded' this is to ensure that a press of the release button will flick the blade out rather than in.
then locate other half together with it and screw back together.
TIP - the transponder sits in a little compartment and falls out easy so a bit of blue tak can help it stay in place whilst you are locating the two halfs back together BUT be careful it is glass and fragile.

This cost me £20 for a new key and £1.50 for a new VW badge to put over the screw - dealer quoted £150 for new key plus you have to have the blade cut and the board and transponder coded.

Tri-man
12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Where do you get the little VW badge to stick on the key?

My works fine but the case is in the same condition from a previous owner, it looks rubbish...I wouldnt spend £20 replacing the key but I a few quid to replace the stickers sounds good.

doobs
12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Try something similar to this from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Key-Fob-Remote-Badge-Emblem-Logo-Golf-Passat-Bora_W0QQitemZ180428991942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a0267edc6

robbien
13-11-2009, 10:45 PM
yeah got mine from ebay = just type in vw key badge and should have loads come up