PDA

View Full Version : S8 2001 car boot leak

denkatenka
16-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Hello,
i own a 2001 s8 which i drove up to england from spain.
Every time i open the boot after a rainy day a lot of water guches out of the top part of the inside part of the boot door.
I dropped the car off at audi and they hosed it down and found no water leaking out of anywhere.
The part the water leaks from is damp and smells like fungus. The boxes which open at the sides where the cables are also get wet.
I am going to drop the car off at audi again on wednesday.
Any idea what could be the problem?
Where could the water be entering through?
Regards to all
dionysios

jhakkane
30-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi,

In case Audi couldn't figure it out, here my guess: I have a similar problem in my '00 S8 and pinned it down to a damaged rubber seal of the lock (=push button to open the lid). The right side of the boot lid is probably more wet than the left side, if you have the same problem. The rubber seal can be seen from the outside, it's the part that the chromed push button sits against. The water seeps in between the rubber and the chrome part.

The lock assembly is quite easy to remove, but, of course, the seal is not available as a separate spare part. The lock cylinder assembly costs 186 euros here in Finland, so I temporarily removed the problem by sealing the button with silicone glue and not using it. I'm thinking of trying to find a suitable o-ring or something for the long run. One idea would be to find a lock assembly from a scrap yard and just use the seal (it can be changed with some effort).

In any case, I recommend removing the inner lining of the boot lid and thoroughly drying it and the lid itself before putting everything back together. It's designed in a way that if it gets wet it will never dry by itself...

Hope this helps,
jhakkane

denkatenka
30-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you very much for your help.
I left the car with Audi and they sealed the boot for under 200 Pounds.
Now the same problem occurs with the gas tank.
I have to wipe it dry every time I am at the gas station.
It doesn't look like there is any type of rubber seal around it though...
Regards:beerchug: