PDA

View Full Version : Question Can't decide which: petrol or diesel

tungstentim
16-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi,
Hope someone can help me a bit here?
I'm about to start a new job and am finally able to get an pre-loved / second hand A4.
I've seen loads of 2.0 tdi and a few 1.8t petrol's for sale.

Is there much between them, I realise the tax will be slightly different, but what are they like to drive and live with?

I'm going to need an auto so they both go with a multitronic box.

Any pointer greatly received.

regards,
Tim

pitch3110
16-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi Tim and welcome.

I was thinking of a 2.0T but after a day's demo the fuel useage scared me off. Terific car though and I am a lover of the engine, having it in wifeys car.

Stuck with a 143TDI and with Multitronic which is a dream.

MPG is a tad below 40 with mixed mainly town driving, and I am sure its losening up with even just 1k on thje clock.

It has always been my intention to add Bluefin or Spider after a few thousand and this I prob will still do.

1.8T cann't comment I'm affraid.

Good luck

robtt09
17-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh, get a 3.00tdi auto.Plenty about second hand and Dealers will take an offer. Super car I get 33mpg average and over 40 on the motorway. Have a demo in one and you wil smile from ear to ear. If you find a Beemer trying to polish your rear bumper just slip her into sport mode ,floor it and watch the ever decreasing dot in your rear view mirror ! Hooligan or what!!

kite
17-11-2009, 12:05 PM
You may want to read the scary threads about the "multicronic" box....

robtt09
17-11-2009, 12:24 PM
re above thread, 3.00tdi has "old fashioned" auto..strong and reliable

kite
17-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Quattro's also have the reliable 'box...

pitch3110
17-11-2009, 08:23 PM
You may want to read the scary threads about the "multicronic" box....

The latest 8-plate is fine....so they say.

The multi in B6's and early B7's have been problematic.

ScottyUK
17-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Pitch - believe Kite :(

pitch3110
17-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Ummmmmmmm, what with multitronic and the s-tronic probs seems like Audi is not the way to go. Knew I should have gone back to beemer instead of these piles of poo.

c7trp
17-11-2009, 11:49 PM
3.0 TDI every time!

It seems wrong to have sooo much fun and still get 38mpg :D

Mine is manual though

Pauls898
18-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Yep, get the 3.0L TDI Manual 6 speed, great car, I have had mine 2 months and coverred 2,500 miles my average on mine is 40.3MPG I have a fairly light foot, but if you press the metal it shifts!!!! Love it to bits, quite, and loads of torque.

ScottyUK
18-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Ummmmmmmm, what with multitronic and the s-tronic probs seems like Audi is not the way to go. Knew I should have gone back to beemer instead of these piles of poo.

Judging by all your recent posts where it's obvious you're very unhappy with the car - noises, mpg, functionality etc perhaps you're correct in your above comment :(

XM640
19-11-2009, 08:24 AM
In fear of hijacking this thread but ....

Kite suggests that their are problems with the multi regardless, where I have read/heard that the electronic gremlins were resolved in the B7, and with the B8 running an uprated clutch pack ....

... so I am yet to read/hear of any unreliability issues with B8 multis - if so I am interested to know. Surely there is enough B8s out there now with high enough km's.

Have the issues with the S-tronics been resolved yet?

kite
19-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I would think the B8's are still in warranty.
People tend to complain when they have to pay.

XM640
20-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I would think the B8's are still in warranty.
People tend to complain when they have to pay.

Yeh good point ... mmm but still have read/heard of issues with the S-tronic.

Anyway, the moral is if your thinking of purchasing a multi, do so 'eyes wide open' - but mind you tend to hear more about the grief (on forums) than the satisfied at large.

robtt09
20-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I remember joining the TT forum in '03 when thinking about buying one and very nearly put off. But went ahead anyway on the basis the warranty was for three years.My ownership was virtually fault free except for the instrument pod replacement which everyone seemed to have.I had three and a half years of great fun with the car.A friend bought one in 2002 and has now racked up 200,000 miles with no major bills except for clutch and the like.The moral of this is that forums tend to highlight troubles. But remember the vast majority of owners will be quite happy with their vehicles and feel no need to vent their fury on a forum. I love my B8 3.00tdi which can be fast and furious or a real pussycat depending on mood

pitch3110
20-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Judging by all your recent posts where it's obvious you're very unhappy with the car - noises, mpg, functionality etc perhaps you're correct in your above comment :(

Panic over Scotty, trying to provoke some nice B8 thoughts.

I love the car to bits. A colleague has just picked up a new 3 series and it does not compare to my B8 one bit.

Build is shocking.

ta

ScottyUK
20-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Good news :D

a8 tech
20-11-2009, 11:46 PM
B8 s tronic suffer few problems but as there are current svm updates for tfsi with S tronic and they work, its so far a successful box and as for multitronic there much improved and only the B6 earlier model especially the 2.5 suffered from mechanical issues where as B7 was more mfs issues within the control unit but as there are constant improvements via svm updates and in some cases simple re adaptation resolves the complaints received but also the drivers don't help with some issue as they expect these gearbox to drive like conventional torque converter auto box.I have avoided answering any 8k box issues as there few and far between

trebor54
23-11-2009, 01:33 AM
FYI - I have a manual, petrol 1.8 (160), and it averages 32mpg :o.

73kingstonroad
23-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi...

Well I've just filled mine up this week. Mostly town driving and got a shocking 19.56 MPG

Go for the oil burner, just look at what others are getting in there 2.0TFSI petrol motors.

Martin

troc
23-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi...

Well I've just filled mine up this week. Mostly town driving and got a shocking 19.56 MPG

Go for the oil burner, just look at what others are getting in there 2.0TFSI petrol motors.

Martin

It is quite scary how similar to my Mpg the 2.0 TFSI cars get. It's always possible I have a light right foot.....

I do notice that the S4 is shocking around town - although I think 50% of that is the silly grin on my face when the lights go green. It's not racing - I do it even when I'm the only car there ;)

ScottyUK
23-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I had to run my kiddy to and from nursery today which is about 3 miles there and back each time. There was plenty of traffic but no queing. It was all 30 and 40 zones and there was no flooring it. I got about 22.5 on the DIS which won't be that good in reality. To be honest we're very low milage so the difference in cost per year on this mpg versus 30+ is minimal so I'm not really that bothered. However I do find that the figures are nowhere near where they should be.

DeanS
23-11-2009, 07:57 PM
For me my last two cars were oil burners and I'm loving the petrol. The tfsi has all the torque of my old diesels (and more) with the associated petrol top end. MPG wise I have averaged 38 over the first 5000 miles but this has mainly been long journeys etc.

Bratty
24-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Its very complex to answer the original question! Is your lifestyle about economy or spirited driving (or other company car issues?) . I challange anybody on this Forum to say that a diesel is not smelly (start the ****** up in your garage in winter!!) and louder!! The drving experience is, "with the normal cubic capacities" is moderate ( and at times frustrating). BUT!! they are more economical!! I have a 1.8 TFSI Manual, given the choice again I might put up with that really ****** burnt diesel smell and go for a diesel with Auto box (definetly not manual!!) Just my opinion:Blush:

Dunk

pitch3110
24-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I will take that one up...........diesel is not smelly and I reckon side by side in the garage the ED30 GTI's exhaust drows out the A4's oil burners rattle.

Taking back what I have previously said, I did 150 miles of mixed driving yesterday and hit Audi's claimed combined of 48.8 (although may be a couple less).

143PS of oil burner and multitronic is a great combo and I am lovin it more and more each day.
With the exception of heavy urban driving I use paddle thingys virtually all the time.
I would highly recomend this to anyone I am an auto convert.
Roll on 6 months and a few more '000 and 180ish of remap.

Having said that DSG on a GTI is just wrong. Manual lever throwing is the way to go.

Horses of courses all round, but D, D and D IMO.

Ta

Bratty
25-11-2009, 12:22 AM
SMELLY;)

Dunk

ScottyUK
25-11-2009, 12:41 AM
...........diesel is not smelly

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to take any of your posts seriously again :p

73kingstonroad
25-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi...

Here's a comparison for you...

I've just taken my 2.0TFSI Q S Tronic to Grimsby Audi as a Master tech from Audi (UK) is coming on Thursday to try and sort the S tronic out. Any way I went straight there, 34 miles in total (cruise set to 75 MPH) and my car averaged 28 MPG. Coming back they gave me a A4 2.0TDI Avant (possibly a 143 ps FWD) and that averaged 46 MPG with the cruise set to 75 MPH.

To drive normally I couldn't tell any difference, but I sure once the roads get damp or I start to play I'd definitely notice the advantage of quattro...

You make up your own mind on that one...

Martin

MFGF
25-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I've just taken my 2.0TFSI Q S Tronic to Grimsby Audi as a Master tech from Audi (UK) is coming on Thursday to try and sort the S tronic out.

Hi Martin,

Fingers crossed for you mate!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, by the way!

MF.

73kingstonroad
26-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Martin,

Fingers crossed for you mate!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, by the way!

MF.

Cheers... Will know more tomorrow...

As for the oil burner loan car....

32 mile trip to York from Willerby via the A1079 with four adults and a wheel chair I managed 48 MPG going and 51 MPG coming back.
Pretty impressed with that I have to say.

Martin

DeanS
26-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I'll chip in again-cross country trip today across to Tunbridge Wells then Eastbourne for round trip of 192 miles achieved DIS mpg of 37mpg-wasn't hanging about either in places. For me the car would be very different if it was a diesel (nothing wrong with that) I just think petrol suits the car..............