PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Flashing Glowplug light A8L 4.0Tdi

hdouglas
15-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Got a flashing Glowplug light whilst driving yesterday, VAG COM lists 3 engine faults:
16620 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Implausible signal
P0236 - 001 Upper limit exceeded - MIL ON

18282 - Valve for Torque Support Mount : Short to Plus

17862 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235) Short to Ground
P1454 - 000 - - - Intermittent

Before I get it booked into dealer, has anyone come across this before? Any ideas. Service indicator has also come on saying 1600 miles to service so probably best to get it all sorted at once.

hdouglas
31-12-2009, 12:31 PM
A rather expensive visit to the dealer sorted this one.
EGT sensor on drivers side turbo needed replacing. And that is a big job to access it. All running fine again now.

bruce charles
31-08-2010, 11:40 PM
hi there , ive got the glowplug flashing now and again , and just wondering when you had this problem , did you have a lot of black smoke coming out the driver side exhaust when you had the problem with the egt sensor

hdouglas
01-09-2010, 12:16 AM
I was not aware of black smoke, but the car was in "get home mode" with significantly reduced power. I do get black smoke if I boot my foot down, but always have had - the nature of a V8 diesel.

On mine once the glow plug started flashing, it didn't stop. Even with a clear faults with a VAG COM cable, as soon as the engine was started it came back again. From what I understand these sensors giving up the ghost is not an uncommon problem and Audi in their wisdom have made it almost impossible to replace. Apparently the garage had to remove the front bumper, radiator, oil cooler, lights then the manifolds before being able to get to it, a 10 hour job. So I hope for your sake it doesn't need replacing.

I did find on google photos of someone with an A4 who had replace the EGT sensor themselves, they ended up sawing off the cables so they could get a socket drive round it to remove it, what that did not answer was how they tightened up the replacement (or maybe it doesn't have to be that tight).

Best of luck