PDA

View Full Version : Console/fascia parts

rgann
02-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm about to replace the factory fitted Gamma stereo head unit in my 1.9 TDi with an after-market JVC unit. No probs there -I've done this sort of thing before. The Gamma comes with a 6-CD slot-loading jukebox which is located directly under the Gamma, in the centre console. I'm going to fit a 12-CD MP3 jukebox in the boot so the existing jukebox will become redundant.

Here's the question: What should I do with the old jukebox?

Should I leave it in place, but disconnected?

Or should I remove it? If so, where can I get a suitable blanking plate for the resulting hole?

As usual, all suggestions gratefully received!

cheers

Roger

Sam
03-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Stick it on eBay.

Fascia plates are on eBay too, if you want a part number I can dig one out for you.

topgazza
03-05-2007, 10:45 AM
I fitted a Blaupunkt DAB 54 in my Passat so I use MP3 recorded CDs and a 1GB SD card to play my music..again MP3...about 300 tracks on the SD alone...so I don't use any jukebox or the VW autochanger

I tried a blanking plate and whilst it was good quality it changed the dynamics of the dash too much..made it look a bit "flat" so I left the VW autochanger in the slot. the fact that I never use it doesn't matter. the car looks "normal" and if I ever sell it I can sell as complete by fitting the Gamma back in or provide both stereos...for a price of course.

Did exactly the same thing with my last Passat when I sold it and it definatly helped the sale.

Unless you desperatly need the £30-50 by selling I would leave it in place...it just looks right.

SONICtheONE
04-05-2007, 07:15 PM
When I fiited my kenwood head unit into my passat '01 model, brought a shelf unit from VW, for about £27, It replaces the CD/Changer unit for a shelf/cubby hole.
If required the Part No. W3B0 857 058 2A Q
Looks good and a extra hole to place bit and bobs.

clint
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
let me know if you feel the sound quality is much improved,im trying to decide if im going to upgrade my gamma,it doesnt sound too bad to me

topgazza
04-05-2007, 09:03 PM
To be honest...as a standard FM/MW stereo I think the Gamma is one of the best sounding and betters many after market stereos except for the top of the range. However I have fitted DABs...two Blaupunkt and one JVC to my last three cars and would never willingly go back to analogue. Combined with the MP3 features of teh Blaupunkts its the best of both worlds. Solid clear stereo signa on all stations 99.9% of the time.

Serious stereo fans will differ of course but for a standard HU only install DAB makes a great difference .....

...and yes the cubby hole option does look good as well.

guyg
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
When I upgraded the audio in my Passat to an Alpine, I left the Gamma in place and removed the CD changer to make room for the new unit.

If i go anywhere, I remove the front of the Alpine, but the Gamma is still visible in the dash as a decoy [who would want to nick a Gamma?]

I have kept the old CD unit in case I sell the car...

And yes, there is a huge difference in the sound with a decent head unit, but you also need to upgrade the speakers...

Cheers

Guy

topgazza
06-05-2007, 07:31 PM
True...although the stock speakers in the Passat are better than a lot of "standard" after market speakers...

snapdragon
06-05-2007, 07:53 PM
When i replaced my Gamma with a VW MFD Navi, I was astounded at how good the original speakers were, as it sounded 10x better but were previously crippled by the Gamma. No need to buy new speakers which I planned after the Navi.

pbeazer
17-05-2007, 11:21 PM
If anyone has a spare double DIN console trim lying around, I will happily take it off there hands. Just name a price...

kharva007
17-05-2007, 11:50 PM
im after the triple din and would like to take my double din wiv a cabby hole and swap it? coz id like to fit a satnav. wana swap?

pbeazer
17-05-2007, 11:53 PM
it's the triple one I'm after aswell (climate control, radio & cd changer slots)

kharva007
18-05-2007, 12:01 AM
o ok they cost bout £40 from dealers

pbeazer
18-05-2007, 12:02 AM
do you know a part number??

kharva007
18-05-2007, 01:16 AM
no sorry i just asked them when i went to vw, jus describe it to them. its bout £37.50

Sam
18-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Climatronic equipped double DIN surround and trim pieces
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/DSC00472.jpg

Slight damage to bottom left corner
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/DSC00031.jpg

and bottom right corner
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/DSC00033.jpg

Passenger and rear door trims
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/DSC00028.jpg

Drivers side (RHD) door trim - fairly worn
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/DSC00025.jpg

I think I still have all the above bits in the garage.

You can see the damage to the climatronic section - but this does not affect anything at all. There are four clips which slide over these holes to take the screw.

Make me an offer and I'll see if I can dig them out.