PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Control

willy100
02-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I have a V5 Passat Auto-Tip (B5 2000 model). I have been told by a mechanic that the V-60 ECU fault means that the throttle control motor is faulty. Apparently the part is £330+VAT and 1 hours labour to fit. The symptoms of the fault are eratic reving of the engine when changing gear, especially 2-3 and 3-4. The gear changes are slow and cumbersome with the revs rising before changing gear and the changes themselves are seldom smooth.

Does anyone know if the throttle can be cleaned or repaired?

Many thanks.

calum
07-05-2007, 05:13 PM
The cause is a build up of combustion gasses being fed back into the inlet manifold.This gathers on the throttle plate , eventually building up enough to prevent the throttle plate closing properly.This results in your problem.Take off the throttle body and clean it with brake cleaner (aerosol) from motor factors(use a toothbrush if it's really dirty),re-assemble with a new gasket and do a throttle body adaption once your finished,turn the ignition key to on and leave it for two minutes,that should be it.This is assuming it has the DBW throttle and not the throttle cable.hope this helps Calum.

Vw love throwing new parts on a car , especially at your expense,try the simple things first.

Eoghan
29-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello Calum,
I've an 98 A4 1.6l Audi. At low revs or idling there has been very little power and I've had to compensate with acceleration&clutch to keep her from cutting out. On the Diagnostic machine it fed back Alm 252 Motor Throttle/Body Sensor problem. Dealer has quoted me £100 to have it Throttle Body cleaned.

You know of a link with good instructions/pictures to show me where this Throttle unit is and how to clean it out?
Appreciate any help.
Eoghan

calum
29-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Hello Eoghan,
These instructions are for a 1.8t , but a throttle body is still a throttle body nonetheless.Follow these instuctions and you should have fixed the problem for less than £10 - £15 ,here are the links:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244304&highlight=throttle+cleaning

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/throttlebody/

Hope this helps you out , Calum ;)