PDA

View Full Version : Registration plates

indian jalepeno
02-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi all, looking to buy an A4, by the end of today me hopes, but its on a private plate which will not be getting transferred over to me. Do I have to pay DVLA/C to put the original plate back onto the car?? Or does the seller have to do all of that??

Ta

I J

Sam
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
As you're buying and he wants to keep the plate, make him pay for it, otherwise you get the lot.

indian jalepeno
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi, this is an ebay auction and he has said that it is not included in the sale

onzarob
02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
It will cost the seller to transfer the plate or put it on retention £80 or £110. It can take a few weeks to do as well so you'll have to come to some arrangment.

Rob:D

indian jalepeno
02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
If I win it and lets say pick it up next week, am I covered legally. What paperwork would I be going away with to prove that it was on a private plate but isnt now etc. Suppose i could photocopy them all.
How do I insure it if the transfer procedure hasnt completed, as he wants payment in 5 days time. What would you suggest is the best outcome for me?
Thanks chaps
I J

indian jalepeno
02-05-2007, 06:17 PM
The seller has just got back to me on the private plate. Do I do a HPI check on this or the original plate. Thing is he doesnt know what the original plate is until tomorrow. (He is a dealer selling for a friend)

Ta

I J

Sam
02-05-2007, 07:22 PM
It's sounding very suspect.

If it goes at the end of the ebay auction then legally he has to hand over everything, plate and all, there and then.

It's a little too late now, but the plate should have been transferred from the car before the auction.

If you win with the plate on the car, it's yours.

Eshrules
02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
i agree with sam....

first of all, if he intended to keep the plate, he should have transfered it over before putting the car up for auction. you're buying the car as seen, described and as shown in the eBay auction...

the other thing is, he cant expect you to settle until the car is ready to be collected. if he is having the plate transferred, you wont be able to get insurance for it until he's transferred it across. you cant simply put 'plates' physically on it with the old reg, it must be registered correctly with the DVLA, otherwise you would, in effect, be driving a stolen car.

my advice... ask him to get the plate transferred and then you will settle everything you owe him. if he refuses, contact eBay and walk away... no car is worth the hassle. :beerchug:

onzarob
02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
:D If the seller says it not included in the sale then it not included. He does need to apply for the transfer.

He should have done it in advance to make thing easy. You can still but the car and insure it with the current plate and once/if the transfer is agreed by the DVLA just inform the insurance company of the reg change.

all the supporting documents will be updated by the dvla when the reg is transfered.

you basically need to agree the reg is transfered and it up to the original owner to get the documents converted eg V5 ETC. This isn't so bad these days as the MOT is electronic.

If this all sounds too much, walk away and look for another car.

indian jalepeno
03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
OK Thanks, just been on the phone to DVLA. They say it could take up to 6 weeks for the whole transfer to go through however:

They also said that DVLA have a right to check the vehicle over if they want during the transfer- but i'd have it by then

All the paperwork and new V5 would go back to him even though I am the new keeper. I doubt he will give me the V5 next week and its then on trust that he would forward it to me.

My best situation (apart from walking away) would be to wait until the whole transfer process has gone through and all is legit with a new standard plate on it

As I was planning on picking it up next tues what other options am I afforded to protect me if I take it away without the V5 - none I suspect.

Boardboy
03-05-2007, 09:10 PM
You must really like the car. If it were me I would walk away. It sounds a little too complex with plenty of room for getting stung.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Boardboy.

indian jalepeno
04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Just been on the phone to the guy and explained the V5 issue. He didnt realise what problems would arise but he has said that I would get a receipt of sale, would take photocopies of everything including the transfer stuff and, yes, there would be lots of twoing and fro ing to the point where he said that once he was in receipt of the new V5, with the new reg on it, he would send it to me rec del for me to sign so that he could then send it off to DVLA or even I could do that part. Sounds mad enough to S&^t can the whole lot but if I have all the paperwork and proof of purchase, surely I'm covered on all bases. It cannot be this convoluted.

onzarob
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
reg transfers can be easy and sometimes painful, if the plate has been transfered before it straight forward, but if it the first time its been moved then the DVLA will need to examine the car to check the cars identity etc.

I know this from experience, but if the guys happy for you to take the car then it shouldn't be to much hassle. afterall V5 is not the owner of the car, it just the registered keeper!

Rob :D

indian jalepeno
06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys. To end this episode we have agreed to delay the sale for a few weeks until she gets the transfer done with new supporting V5. But she has now offered me the plate as well for extra. She paid £1500 for it, and is letting it go for £700. How can I find out how much it is worth? I assume she has the paperwork to prove the value but surely this can go down as well as up??? Been checking all the reg sites but with no joy.

Cheers

indian jalepeno
06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Oh yeah and the tax is due to run out at the end of the month so If I didnt have a V5 for the original reg, once the transfer had been initiated the car woudnt be allowed on the road till that arrived..just to really complicate matters!!!!

onzarob
07-05-2007, 08:51 AM
this site will do an online valuation for free.

http://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/

I had a number for sale with them for year and no takers, so it may take while for it to sell.

indian jalepeno
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks Rob, had a look at that site but was put off as I haven't strictly been given the go ahead to check the plate out. But if she is offering it to me then surely thats approval ;). Doing a check now

indian jalepeno
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Just done the check- she was right, £1500. So seems a v good deal. Do you know anyone on here called Anthony.or Dan !!!??? :)
Problem is, like you said I'm not overly wanting the plate as it means diddly to me. Selling it on is the other issue. What did you end up doing with yours after a year?

onzarob
07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I didn't pay for my plate it came off my MG Midget when i had to scrap it. I have it on retention untill july, but i'll probabley put it on the car now untill it sells.Plan to have the A4 for a while.

I would offer her a low value for a quick sale £200 maybe.

remember she is going to have to remove the plate and find another seller if she wants to keep it!!!

indian jalepeno
07-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Blimey!! You're a hard man!! £200 for a £1500 plate?? Whats this about 'find another seller if she wants to keep it' mean? Isnt it just a case of putting it on retention, pay the annual sub, and wait for someone interested to buy?? Thats alll she incur surely?

onzarob
07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
well i'm not a hard man;)

what i meant was you want the car not bothered with the plate, if she doen't really want the plate and nor do you, then is currently worth nothing. The plate is only worth £1500 if you have a buyer, and in my experence they don't just turn up in a hurry for number plates. So you could offer her a small amount and maybe make a profit. If not just let her keep the plate.

Basically I would not pay £15 let alone £700 for something i didn't want!!!

The 'walk away' was a bargaining idea, but thats up to you.

Sam
08-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I have to agree with Rob, to you it's worthless, to her it's worth £1500.

I had a plate that was worth £2500 to someone with the right name.

To someone else it wasn't worth the price of the bolt holding it to the car.

Eshrules
08-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I have to agree with Rob, to you it's worthless, to her it's worth £1500.

I had a plate that was worth £2500 to someone with the right name.

To someone else it wasn't worth the price of the bolt holding it to the car.

yup :d simple economics... see, we educate in all fields on this forum ;) supply and demand, unless you have the supply outweighing the deman enough (ie enough potential buyers for the plate) the plate is beasically, worthless....