PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 carb dismantling - Urgent

brianf
02-05-2007, 04:53 PM
I was amazed to discover by chance that the moulded flange between the injection block and the inlet manifold had split horizontally so that the unit was just attached by gravity. Incredibly, there were no misfires and performance was fine.
Anyway, I bought a new joint and started to dismantle the system but I'm now stuck. I can't see how to remove the air intake cowling. I have removed the single bolt from the top rear of the cowl but it still seems solidly attached to the injector body. I have tried prising as much as I dare but nothing moves.
Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to this?
Thanks for any rapid replies before I do some damage.

brianf
02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
I was amazed to discover by chance that the moulded flange between the injection block and the inlet manifold had split horizontally so that the unit was just attached by gravity. Incredibly, there were no misfires and performance was fine.
Anyway, I bought a new joint and started to dismantle the system but I'm now stuck. I can't see how to remove the air intake cowling. I have removed the single bolt from the top rear of the cowl but it still seems solidly attached to the injector body. I have tried prising as much as I dare but nothing moves.
Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to this?
Thanks for any rapid replies before I do some damage.

Surely someone has dismantled one of these. I've tried squirting WD40 around the collar but I just cannot remove the air intake cowl from the top of the injection block.
Any help would really be appreciated.

brianf
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Surely someone has dismantled one of these. I've tried squirting WD40 around the collar but I just cannot remove the air intake cowl from the top of the injection block.
Any help would really be appreciated.

My local VW dealership showed me that there are two bolts hidden beneath tight fitting caps on the top of the cowling.
Apart from that, the job of replacing the flange is very easy and the car sailed through its annual technical control this morning.