PDA

View Full Version : Park assist - just parrarel no perpendicular??

smagdy
12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi,

In youtube, i found Passat CC with option to choose how to park (parrarel or perpendicular)

Why mine has just the parrarel which is not needed as much as the perpendicular?

How can i let it have both?

Thanks

eob
12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi,

In youtube, i found Passat CC with option to choose how to park (parrarel or perpendicular)

Why mine has just the parrarel which is not needed as much as the perpendicular?

How can i let it have both?

Thanks

Is this not an option on the touchscreen when the OPS is displayed.

I can't check as I don't have it fitted.:zx11: Dead jealous. :D

smagdy
12-11-2009, 10:42 AM
No, it just shows the parallel, but not in the 7" screen, but in the small screen infront of you!

I saw in youtube video, that it gave option to choose between the 2

gamichea
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Dunno about YouTube. Have seen an official VW video of a Passat doing this with the driver out of the car using the keyfob but it was on the basis of future developments, not current Park Assist.

fatgattaca
14-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I have CC with park assist and it will only parallel park. The sensors will only pick up a gap big enough for the length of the car not width. I have seen the video other posters have mentioned regarding a VW staffer parking his car remotely with his key fob, very cool. Any way in 18 months I am sure there will be an iPhone app which will drop you off at the pub, park the car in the cheapest car park, pick you up and drive you round until your sober...........................probably.

smagdy
14-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, I think everybody saw the "Park assist vision" on youtube and this is for sure something for the future, but i am sure that i saw another video from normal user showing his park assist, but when he pressed the button, it showed 2 different options..

and i am getting crazy now cuz i can't find this video anymore.. still searching though...

kennyboy
25-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Perpendicular parking is a seperate optional extra to the parallel parking.

My car has parallel parking and as you say it uses the small screen between the dials.

Perpendicular parking is seperate and uses a camera fitted to the rear vw badge, parallel parking just uses the parking sensors.

smagdy
25-11-2009, 11:04 AM
So you mean that if I had a backcamera, then the perpendicular parking option would be there as well?

kennyboy
25-11-2009, 11:34 AM
That's my understanding smagdy - the rear vw badge tilts to expose the camera lense and then all the fancy parking graphics guiding you in appear on the touch display.

I can't imagine the camera would be used for anything else so if you've got it then I would think you'd have the full visual parking also.

smagdy
25-11-2009, 11:43 AM
No, I don't have it, but i think i can let any workshop to install it (I saw some Ads regarding that) but I also talked to someone who used to work in VW about it and he contacted another one in VW and this is what he told me:

--------------------------------------------
I checked with the programming for perpendicular parking but it seems very dificullt I did spoke to him on telephone but I dont think that would be something I could do. I think we are talking about a lot of programming to make this work and it would not work 70% of the times I was told. So that is not something I could do, sorry!
The risk of breaking anything is to big and you have to nice car to do experiments with it.

I then asked if VW can do it for me, and he said:
No I think for the first VW not going to do that retrofit in your car is to much work. Then if they decide to do it I think they will charge you a lot. What I know about is that the coding is a big job then I dont know if there are any parts that are missing or need to be bought. The master on VW told me not to get in to it becuase its to much, even he would not do it. And he has worked with VW for 30years.

So maybe in my next car :)

sterg
10-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Rear view camera has not to do anything with perpendicular park assist.You must have 2 extra sensors rear of the car,total six sensors and of course six front sensors for parallel park and the appropriate PDC ECU.When you push the park assist button twice you can do perpendicular parking.

matt2e
11-10-2011, 10:28 PM
One of the other VW sites has the following post from someone with a CC and Park Assist

"Park assist is with the parking sensors and standard RNs315. As Fast has pointed out, it does do bay parking as well as parallel park and on both sides of the car. For bay parking, you "double click" the park assist button. To park off-side you use the indicator stalk.

As James has noted it does get closer than you would to other cars when reverse parking but that seems to be because you start off nearer to the cars when hunting for a space so that the sensors can actually read the the other cars. I've also noticed that in a busy car park you end up so far past the space before the system sets up to reverse that you lose the spot because someone behind you has other driven up behind you (and blocked the space) or even worse driven into your spot."

This is from a UK post so may differ from other parts of the world .. though I can't think why. Hope this puts a few minds at rest.

vwcabriolet1971
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Isn't the perpendicular parking controlled by the big red lever by the driver's seat ?

FastEddieVW
17-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Perpendicular parking comes with Park Assist II which is the new upgraded Park Assist available on MY2011 models. I have Park Assist II om my 11 plate vehicle. To switch between Parallel and Perpendicular parking you simply press the Park Assist button a second time which alters the display in the driver cluster. Park Assist II is not dependant on the reversing camera or the upraded RNS-510, (Though I have both). It works using the parking sensors only it does not rely on any visual aids.

vwolf
17-10-2011, 03:31 PM
"...you lose the spot because someone behind you has other driven up behind you (and blocked the space) or even worse driven into your spot.."

Yep definitely sounds like the UK :rolleyes:

MisterB
21-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Isn't the perpendicular parking controlled by the big red lever by the driver's seat ?

ParkAssist II - It's bloody brilliant ! Even works to get you out of the space ! It works for both sides of the car - default to nearside, but flick the indicator over to the offside and hey presto.

Best done with both you hands in full view off the steering wheel too :-)