PDA

View Full Version : OBC...mpg

Mike'A
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi y'all,
I've just registered, what a great site. A couple of months ago i had two new tyres fitted on the front, it immeadiately affected the obc's mpg reading, much lower, by 10 mpg. Although the fuel gauge does'nt agree (more in tank). Of late the obc's are more normal but not quite where they were, new tyre specs are the same has the two replaced other than Goodyear replaced Continental....any ideas?:confused:

Paul_mkV_golf
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't have thought it would have affected your trip comp. by that much- fair enough if you'd put alloys on/bigger tyres with more rolling resistance. Since upgarading from 16" to 18" alloys my economy has dropped only slightly- the tyres are pretty much the same rolling
circumference but wider so more resistance.

I know Michelin do an economy tyre which is a harder compound (i think)- less rolling resistance, less grip but better economy. Perhaps you previously had tyres similar to this? Probs worth a look on the tyre manufacturers sites to see how it rates them?

Paul

topgazza
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
10 mpg is too much to put down to the tyre compound. OBC didn't do a "revert to zero" did it ? Not sure but at set points they do that if you don't reset it manually. it would take a while for the average mpg to settle down and before that so you would get either much higher or I guess much lower mpg depending on your driving until a few days or weeks went by. I think it happens every 7-10k on my Passat

Michelin Primacy HP is the tyre but thats not the economy one though...and they are fantastic. Last much longer than Dunlops or any softer tyre with virtually no loss of grip and , if it bothers you, quieter than the old Primacys. Michelin seemed to have got the balnce right between hard tyre=less grip but longer life. Colleague has them on his Passat Saloon and I have driven his car so have first hand experience. My front tyres are due for change soon and I will be going for them. Bit more expensive, around £80 from Micheldever I think, than the standard fit tyre for the Passat but they really are brilliant and if they last the 25% more than the Dunlops etc that Michelin claim then they actually work out cheaper....

Mike'A
07-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the replies, i'll probably take your advice and buy French or German manufactured tyres next time.:approve: