PDA

View Full Version : gear box

checkmate
11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi Guys

I once reported my gears kept getting stuck on one gear. When it was under warranty i reported it to Audit twice and they could not find any faults.
Now that its not under warranty, i went for service and they advised me that the gear box needs replacing. It has minor fault.
Audi couldn't find the fault in 2 attempts. Here they did straight away. can i go back to audi for this or am i stuffed?

Dark Horse
11-11-2009, 03:11 PM
What's the exact model of the car? Auto or manual?

checkmate
11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
whoops shouldve gave my details sorry

Its AUDI A4 1.9TDI 54 Reg

Auto

Dave Avant
11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
My A4 TDi did the same thing, got stuck in 2nd gear, but only when stationary. Basically the synchro ring was chewed up by the previous owner and made it weak eventually giving up completly leaving me with no 2nd gear.

see my fix http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18346&highlight=2nd

If its been logged when you took it back, then I would hassle them as it was damaged back then. Mine only did it if I stopped in 2nd and tried to take it out. It would come out fine if moving. 2nd gear synchros are know to fail on these boxes.

Do you have any documentation with the request to look at the gearbox problem when it was in warranty?

Dave Avant
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Oooops just noticed you have an auto, probably not relevant!