PDA

View Full Version : Front tyre wear

GH20TDI
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Does anyone else have issues with the tracking going very slightly out and it causing massive wear on the outside shoulders of the front tyres? I have a 2.0tdi avant a4 and have seen others with exactly the same pattern wear.

It is extremely annoying as you don't notice until it is quite severe, and the tracking is only out by a very small amount. the rest of the tyre has plenty of wear left. [Not sure if it is relevant, but the car is an SE with the Trapez 5 spoke wheels (I think the others I have seen with similar issues have the same combination).]

Any advice would be welcome - I have been thinking about changing wheels anyway, mainly to improve the looks (as the 15" ones look too small) but if there is an added benefit then it is easier to justify.

Cheers

spannertail
18-05-2007, 08:33 PM
hi mate dont know if it helps but i had the same problem with my 54 plate b6 avant and like you had the tracking checked and 4 wheel alignment done. still carried on. took car back and had tyres replaced told that it is due to power steering and the tyre pressures being out. i have some 17inch genuine audi kraft alloyys and tyres too if your intrested which have come off my tdi sport

AK1
01-09-2007, 08:01 PM
A4 AVANT SLINE 140TDi SLINE 56 PLATE.

Just had 4th set of front tyres fitted in 20,000 ( and no it's not my driving as we also have an A3 140TDI which doesn't have the problem).

Massive wear on the outside of the tyre.

Anyone else out there having the same problem ?

GH20TDI
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Last time I changed the fronts the garage did not have the Dunlop Sport 01 tyres so gave me Dunlop Sport 01A instead (tread pattern is different).

The outside wear does not seem to be so bad (although it is now noticeable); I need to get tracking checked again!

Still annoys me that slightly out tracking = destroyed tyres :aargh4:

I have not noticed any reduced performance due to change of tyres!

Hope this helps.

RickT
04-09-2007, 12:16 AM
my first question... 15 inch wheels..... i thought all B7 were at least 16's......

in regards to bad wear.. i know a few of the lads here run the pressure at 36 psi to ensure the middle of the tread gets the wear..

As the 2.0 TDI is such a heavy lump the outer edges tend to wear on the bends...

i always run mine at 36 psi..

Rick

MarkBS
04-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Rick, I have a 55 plate 2.0TDi with 18" Audi alloys and the outside edges are running a little low - the dealer stated 2.1bar - that's appx 31-32psi, would 36psi affect breaking diskatne/handling at all? Please advise
Mark

humayunrana
07-05-2008, 11:35 AM
A4 AVANT SLINE 140TDi SLINE 56 PLATE.

Just had 4th set of front tyres fitted in 20,000 ( and no it's not my driving as we also have an A3 140TDI which doesn't have the problem).

Massive wear on the outside of the tyre.

Anyone else out there having the same problem ?
Hi everyone,

My name is Humayun

I have an Audi 1.9TDi SE 55 4dr saloon from New. I had outer tyre wear on my Continentals last year at 9k. Tyre pressure was always checked at 34Psi. I took it to my Audi Garage. They checked the tracking+body geometry. They said all was within spec and that it was due to tyre pressures. I did not believe this , but could not argue well enough against this as I had no proof. So I changed my front tyres to exactly the same type in July 2007. However this year in early April at 16K..the same outer tyre wear was evident.

They have now checked the geometry again and said the tracking was out (confirmed with Pro-tyre)+ they will swap the front wheeels to the back + take three readings on the tyre and asked me to monitor for a further 3000 miles to see the tyre wear is even. That is all they can do , the Service manager has told me.

Any useful advice would be grateful. As this is possibly going to cost me a set of front tyres at least each year. Not really happy. Are there better tyres I could try on the front only ?