PDA

View Full Version : Audi A8 Grille replacement

Paulog13
10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi,

I am considering replacing my Jaguar with an A8, and would prefer an 05 Facelift model with the full grille etc. however, I was wondering if anyone had ever replaced the grille and front bumber on a pre facelift car for the newer style, and an estimate of cost?

Also, I've been reading that the combined consumption of the 3.2 FSI (non-quattro) works out at around 28 mpg, is this acheiveable in normal driving conditions and is the urban consumption really 19 mpg ?

Thanks in anticipation.....

Micha_elD
10-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Some people have fitted the grille, bumper, and bonnet from later cars. It costs a fair amount, but the premium on a new grille vs the older ones is many thousands, so there is a sensible economic case for buying an older one and upgrading.

Not sure that the FSi engines would be fitted in the older ones though, the 4.2 FSI came in about 2007, the new grilles came in about 2005/6, earlier for the W12s.

Can't give a view on 3.2 consumption, but my 4.2 gives about 28-30 at UK motorway speeds up to 80mph, but on short journeys, its less than 20mpg. Accelerating almost 2,000 kg really takes a lot of fuel, but keeping that slippery shape rolling doesn't seem to take much. Put it into neutral at 80mph about a mile and a half before your turn-off, and you'll understand that you've invested a lot of energy in getting up to that speed, by comparison with other cars, it just doesn't seem to slow down!

Gerbil
15-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi,

I am considering replacing my Jaguar with an A8, and would prefer an 05 Facelift model with the full grille etc. however, I was wondering if anyone had ever replaced the grille and front bumber on a pre facelift car for the newer style, and an estimate of cost?

Also, I've been reading that the combined consumption of the 3.2 FSI (non-quattro) works out at around 28 mpg, is this acheiveable in normal driving conditions and is the urban consumption really 19 mpg ?

Thanks in anticipation.....

I have a 3.0 V6 petrol, non-quattro from 2005 - so probably as close as you are going to get. The 3.2 FSI came out a few years later.

I get 32-35 on a motorway run, but I used the car to commute from Kingston to Croydon a while back and got 17mpg in traffic!! Since it also took longer then the train / tram option and was really boring, I use those for that commute now!!

On a motorway the car is pretty reasonable and I think if you drove for pure economy you could get 38 mpg fairly easily.

I have to fully grown kids and the space in the back is more than ample. This is the only car I have ever driven where the 5th seatbelt makes sense as you can get five adults in comfortably.

But in terms of comfort the ride on long distance is brilliant.

I never considered putting the newer grill on - I assumed the cost would be prohibitive, also mine has a two year Audi warranty so only main dealers touch it.

In defence of the much maligned dealer network - I paid a premium for the Approved Audi, but was unlucky enough to have a gear box problem and a failed suspension compressor under warranty - over £6k of work all undertaken whilst I drove around in a new A6 and A8. I know from other reports I have been unlucky as the A8 is very reliable, but those bills could have been scary. They even lent me a really pretty A4 for a day when it was serviced that had an awesome B&O stereo. With hindsight I wish I had sorted out an A8 with B&O when I was looking!

Enjoy the A8