PDA

View Full Version : my tdi 143 auto gearbox - query

nrwilliams35
10-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I have just had my first service at 18500 miles - very efficient and no faults to rectify.

I assume the system that this gearbox has when going downhill and slowing with the brakes when it holds the gearbox in a lower gear to assist with engine braking is part of the design. All very clever except on rare occasions my car would get stuck in this mode after returning to level ground. Then it would not change up and the revs remained at somewhere in the region of 1500/1750. Almost like being in Sport Mode except you are'nt.

This clears itself after a while - could be 2/3 miles of 5-10 miles.

I queried this with my gearbox scenario with my garage and they said that they had a software update that they would do whilst servicing.

Now after this software update my car is a different beast - the kickdown is far more sensitive and although i have no problem with the seemed increased performance there is a downside in that my fuel consumption is now down on my commute trip - 50/50 suburbs/motorway. I previously used to achieve 46/47 mpg regularly but now am struggling to reach 42 ????

Has anyone experience of same or am I just being super sensitive and i am just being more enthusiastic with the right foot.

p.s the car is back into them for 2 new chrome strips on the top of the passenger and driver doors this Friday and i shall ask them about this kickdown / mpg scenario then.

pitch3110
10-11-2009, 09:29 PM
I have only lived with mine for 4 weeks and 1,100 miles so far and very happy.
I cannot say that I have experienced the prob.

Your MPG is far far better than mine. The first 1000 miles I have only managed 39.2 overall, I can only dream of 40 something let alone 50........

But this I am putting down to an extremely tight engine.

One thing I have noticed is that it creeps a lot more than I would have thought.
When using the brake or hill hold at lights or a junction the car really vibrates through the wheel. Pop it into 'N' and you can hardly hear of feel it.

Is this the norm????????

That aside I an extremely happy with the 143/multi set up and use the flappy paddles a great deal more than I thought I would.

ta