PDA

View Full Version : Audi Assist AGAIN!!!!!!!

swivelonit
09-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I have had my B8 Avant 2.0 TDi 143 for 14 months now and am getting to know my Audi Assist man by his first name!
First time was a DPF issue, he corrected this fault and I went on my way.
Second time was DPF again but this time the DPF light, glow plug light and engine management light all came on and power was lost, this was sorted by the dealer who fitted a new DPF pressure sensor, only good thing was I was given an A4 Cabrio S line as courtesy car :D
Any way today I went out, visited two customers on the third start of the engine I got ESP fault contact dealer, so I thought just get today over and call in at dealer on the way home, this was fine until I drove and realised the indicators, windscreen wipers, horn and no buttons on the steering wheel worked!:aargh4:
I calles Assist and he came out plugged in and scratched his head, then checked all fuses and decided it was a "spike" he disconnected the battery and reconnected and voila everything was ok. It seems my steering column had "gone to sleep" by disconnesting the battery and reconnecting he "woke it up"

This car has covered 51,500 in 14 months so it doesnt potter about I am just hoping I never see Assist man again and the car keeps going.
It is booked in for further investigation on Friday

J

kite
09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I would keep a 10mm spanner in the boot, might be quicker to do the battery thing yourself
next time

a8 tech
11-11-2009, 10:11 PM
The exhaust pressure sensor fails and defaults the values hence dpf calculations falter.There are far fewer dpf issue with common rail as the engine is more efficient but only extreme driving profiles cause premature failure like short journeys where the engine does not reach sufficient temperature for partial regen etc.

Common rail are far better than pd engine for this evil emissions objective and so far B8 A4 HAS BEEN OK.

Your electrical issue will either be a brief wiring issue or central electrics/steering column control unit glitch but central electrics would be my starting point as early B8 A4 suffered from brief failure's but again as the rac have disconnected the battery the technician will now have multi network fault codes so they will need to study ambient recordings to localise the initial cause.

Can you recall if the central locking also failed?

swivelonit
12-11-2009, 08:13 PM
The central locking was fine, I am in Warrington Audi first thing tomorrow morning, I will up date the post when I get it back!
As for the DPF that was a dodgy pressure sensor, been replaced and all is well now. However a8 tech, the car only gets a new air filter at the 60,000mile service, if this filter is clogged after the 60,000 miles would this not cause more black soot/smoke like on a normal diesel and then have a knock on effect making the DPF regen more often because of the extra soot.
the car is booked in for 7th Dec for this 60k service, at only 15 months old!

a8 tech
12-11-2009, 08:41 PM
The long life service regime has been revised since 2008 so you should be due the air filter although there is a revision on fuel filters which are now replaced every 40,000.

Elsa pro determine which additional filters are replaced depending on mileage or time.

Blocked air filters will in deed affect soot content but as the dpf is regulted by pressure sensors and exhaust gas temp sensors then ash content is calculated continuously hence regeneration.

Warrington Audi is a wise choice and hopefully your electrical sporadic failure can be resolved although these types of faults become tricky when multiple networks are affected, however you pointed out the central locking remained ok which eliminates J393.

I'm sure the source is either j527 or central electrics as a wiring issue would have repeated the fault by now so it points towards a control unit failure.

swivelonit
13-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Well been to the Garage today, Mr Harris the technical brains of the Warrington out fit pinpointed the j527 to be at fault and replaced! As always service was excellent and they also have decent coffee.
Thanks Mr Harris. I will be back on the 7th Dec for service.

a8 tech
13-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Well done that man