PDA

View Full Version : Virus Protection/Firewall/Trojan Virus

ali_a4_avant
07-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi people.

Just bought a new netbook and need to get some protection for it.

Have McAfee on my desktop but dont want to use it again, as have heard it slows down the computer too much.

Havent really got a clue when it comes to what is best, but i'm looking at some free ones including, Threatfire and A-square free.

Any help or suggestions people?

sooty
08-11-2009, 02:54 AM
I use AVG.
You can use their basic version for FREE or pay £39.99 for a year for 1 PC.

I've never had a virus come through with AVG, it runs in the background and u never notice it there.

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Watch out, Channel 4 had a MASSIVE virus hit their enitre network this week... Even got through most firewalls but luckly didn't get to any transmision critical servers.

sooty
08-11-2009, 02:55 AM
By the way I have always used the FREE version and never had any issues

:beerchug:

crashcarter
08-11-2009, 10:41 PM
yup avg free version highly recomended :approve:

turbine2
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
AVG free for AV, but I've just upgraded a PC to Windows 7 and I'm trying the new MS defender software on that.
Only thing is, it's rare that I get anything / go anywhere that's likely to cause an infection so I can't really say if it's good or not.
That said, AVG picked up and cleaned the infection that infected my wife's memory stick when she plugged it in to a computer at work that was infected.

Captain Answer
09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Microsoft essentials is also a very good free package, I've picked things up with this on peoples machines that AVG has missed:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

sooty
09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
AVG free for AV, but I've just upgraded a PC to Windows 7 and I'm trying the new MS defender software on that.
Only thing is, it's rare that I get anything / go anywhere that's likely to cause an infection so I can't really say if it's good or not.
That said, AVG picked up and cleaned the infection that infected my wife's memory stick when she plugged it in to a computer at work that was infected.

I use Windows Defender as well but it's not an anti-virus application.
It will protect you againt Pop-Up's, Spyware ETC.
To get the best protection you should also use an Anti-Vrius package.

How are you getting on with Windows 7?

sooty
09-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Microsoft essentials is also a very good free package, I've picked things up with this on peoples machines that AVG has missed:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Mr. Answer,
I'd like to be cheeky and ask you to help me with another thread: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83661

I'm asking becuase I know you know your stuff!

Captain Answer
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Mr. Answer,
I'd like to be cheeky and ask you to help me with another thread: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83661

I'm asking becuase I know you know your stuff!

I've left you a reply Sir.

turbine2
10-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Misrememberd, it's the one Captain Answer put up, Microsoft Essentials.

Overall, I've had no problems at all with Windows 7, which is more than I can say for Vista when I initially installed it. It's actually better at network stuff (I don't have to reconnect to my NAS every time I log on any more) and I've not had any applications not work on it. And there's no denying it's faster to get working with applications.

If only I could persuade it that the coretemp application I have is one I want to run on startup (or login) without warning me that would be great.

sooty
10-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Overall, I've had no problems at all with Windows 7, which is more than I can say for Vista when I initially installed it. It's actually better at network stuff (I don't have to reconnect to my NAS every time I log on any more) and I've not had any applications not work on it. And there's no denying it's faster to get working with applications.

What version did you go for?
I am an IT Analyst but to be honest I dont think I need anything more than Home for my desktop... All it really does is surf the net and a bit of iTunes ETC.

Most of the business world are still on XP, only a few have started to move ot Vista but it think for most they will wait until 7 is solid and move from XP to 7.

turbine2
11-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Went for Home Premium in the end because I don't need all the domain stuff at home, just the home sharing stuff.
I've got the 64 bit one for my laptop (Acer Aspire 5520?, 64bit AMD processor) but I've not installed it yet. The one I've installed it on is my 'games' machine (Intel Core 2 Duo home build) and it's worked from the get go. My wife used it for the first time yesterday and she likes it (because it's pretty :-) )
Windows 7 is a Vista killer. I think just about any company who is currently looking to deploy Vista will hold off or re-plan for 7 as it's a better O/S. Vista is Microsoft's Edzel.

fayraz
24-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I was using Kaspersky Internet Security but that is running out in 10 days so I have installed:

Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus protection and PC Tools Firewall. MSE has a very small footprint and does not hog your machine resources and has come out pretty good in reviews.

I also use Avira Antivirus (free version) and that has also been pretty good you do get the annoying screen every time the virus defs get updated asking you to upgrade to a paid version.

martin1810
24-11-2009, 01:19 PM
"I also use Avira Antivirus (free version) and that has also been pretty good you do get the annoying screen every time the virus defs get updated asking you to upgrade to a paid version."
I've got the free version and I don't get that. I get a tiny notice that appears in the bottom right hand corner and then goes away on it's own after a few seconds.

fayraz
24-11-2009, 01:27 PM
"I also use Avira Antivirus (free version) and that has also been pretty good you do get the annoying screen every time the virus defs get updated asking you to upgrade to a paid version."
I've got the free version and I don't get that. I get a tiny notice that appears in the bottom right hand corner and then goes away on it's own after a few seconds.

I'm not sure about your version but I get a big ad it only happens once a day so it does not bother me that much.

For people who want to get rid of the advert have a look here: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Popup-Ads-in-Avira-Antivir

peter75
19-01-2010, 01:22 AM
I've always used the free version of AVG although it can be a bit slow.
You can also get free tryout versions of McAffee or Symantec that last 60 days. They are more userfriendly but you have to re-install them every 60 days.
So just go with AVG if you want something that works and is ok ;)

ricbw2
16-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I use kaspersky due it being free from barclays

hallcyon
17-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I use Kaspersky. At £17.99 for a 3 PC License from Amazon I thought it was a good deal. I,ve used it for about 3 years now with no problems.

martin1810
18-06-2010, 09:59 AM
I've changed a couple of our computers over to Microsofts own FREE antivirus. OK so far and seems to constantly update. Time will tell if it is any good.