PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Changing headlamp bulbs on an Alhambra

sinclamj
07-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I am a little embarrased to ask this one, but I need to change the n/s headlight bulb on my 51 plate Alhambra.
There must be a trick to it as I can't get access to the bulbs.

Anyone able to share the secret incantation that is needed?

Thanks!

emmbeedee
13-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Not sure if yours is the same as mine, which is a 1999, T reg., but on mine there are plastic covers over the back of the headlamp unit. These rotate anti-clockwise to remove & you then have access to the bulbs. Cover is approx. 3" dia. IIRC.
Hope this helps,
Bye for now

kmc25_1
28-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi,
I have a 2003 alhambra and was wondering this myself.
The user manual details how to take out most of the inside lights, rear lights and side lights. But it starts off with a section on how the front lights should be done by a mechanic. What is that all about?? To change a light bulb?
I haven't gone poking around the engine yet but i found this on another forum:
"

Unless you have amazingly tiny hands, you can't do it from the back (particularly Right side, UK driver side). Only other way is to take the whole headlamp unit out of the front of the vehicle. To do this you need a star-head screwdriver. Pop off 2 plastic covers on top of the headlamp and unscrew the 2 screws (easy). Then loosen off two lower screws: one visible down to centre of vehicle, one invisible down a 190mm deep hole towards side of vehicle. Then juggle lamp out of front, change bulb and replace. The long plastic stem used to change the side light snags on something as you change the Right side one (UK driver's side) and I sawed it off shorter. The Left (UK passenger side is easier. Good luck."

Anyone interested in doing a proper step by step guide?

K

jcrgordon
28-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Not sure if it's the same as yours but on my 02 plate Alhambra the near side dipped beam is accessed by first removing the battery. Then the clips holding the bulb holder in place can be flicked off. It's all a bit tight and fiddley so if you have big hands it may well be impossible! I googled the problem but I can't remember where I found the answer - might have been somewhere on this forum. If I can find it I'll re-post.

I'm not sure where the main beam or fog lamp bulbs are accessed from as I haven't had to change them (yet).

The side light is via a small sliding cover in the wheel arch - best to jack up the front end a few inches (no need to remove the wheel) to give you more elbow room for this.

Let us know how you get on.

jcrgordon
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I found the instructions on HowToMendIt.com - the sidelight instructions are here http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=50366 and the headlight instructions are here - http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=5836

I hope this helps.

kmc25_1
03-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi JcGordon,
Thanks for the replies above.

In the time since posting I had brought the car to a mechanic.
He managed, with difficulty to replace the main headlight bulb without moving the battery.

He only took the battery cover off and was able to reach down and remove the spring clip and the cover for the rear of the headlamp unit.

As it says in your link the hardest bit seemed to be to get the spring clip back on.

One freaky thing he did was point out that my spot light was also not working.
To fix this he gave the side of the car a thump and the spot light started working again!
He said it is a common fault with the cars and it's not worth taking the wiring apart to try and find the fault. He suggested just giving it a rap every time it re-occured.