PDA

View Full Version : MoT Fail [brakes]

MattGoo
02-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Hi all,
Put my 1991 1.6 Golf CL through the MoT this morning, and it failed (no surprise there?). My local garage said it'd be about £350-£400 to fix it. This includes parts £110, Labour £200, MoT fee £40.

List of things wrong:
* Steering column bracket loose
* Headlight alignment
* Both front brake pipes & flexi hoses
* Both front to back brake pipes
* Both rear brake pipes & flexi hoses
* 1 Rear wheel cylinder
* 1 Rear wheel bearing
* Handbrake (needs new rear brake shoes)

So, is the above easy to do yourself? I'm fairly competant and I've got a HBOL ;) Has anyone on here attempted anything like this?

I'll get most of the parts from eBay or GSF probably. So I'll need a coil of copper brake pipe, a brake pipe flaring kit, metric brake pipe ends, flexi hoses, brake shoes, wheel cylinder, handbrake cable, brake spanners, bleeding kit, wheel bearing?

Anyone know if they're Male/Female unions on the brake pipes,and how many I'll need? Also is 3/16" copper brake pipe the right size to use?

I only paid £300 for the car, so it's a trade off of either doing it myself, or scrapping it and getting another banger with some MoT on it. Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

Matt

Gaz the Cab
02-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi all,
Put my 1991 1.6 Golf CL through the MoT this morning, and it failed (no surprise there?). My local garage said it'd be about £350-£400 to fix it. This includes parts £110, Labour £200, MoT fee £40.

List of things wrong:
* Steering column bracket loose
* Headlight alignment
* Both front brake pipes & flexi hoses
* Both front to back brake pipes
* Both rear brake pipes & flexi hoses
* 1 Rear wheel cylinder
* 1 Rear wheel bearing
* Handbrake (needs new rear brake shoes)

So, is the above easy to do yourself? I'm fairly competant and I've got a HBOL ;) Has anyone on here attempted anything like this?

I'll get most of the parts from eBay or GSF probably. So I'll need a coil of copper brake pipe, a brake pipe flaring kit, metric brake pipe ends, flexi hoses, brake shoes, wheel cylinder, handbrake cable, brake spanners, bleeding kit, wheel bearing?

Anyone know if they're Male/Female unions on the brake pipes,and how many I'll need? Also is 3/16" copper brake pipe the right size to use?

I only paid £300 for the car, so it's a trade off of either doing it myself, or scrapping it and getting another banger with some MoT on it. Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

Matt

You used to be able to buy brake pipes already made up, but it was a very long time ago, well worth checking your local car spares/motor factor. Don't see anything a competent DIYer cant do, might have to get the garage to set the headlamp aim though.