PDA

View Full Version : A8 - Sat Nav Question

sdlangford
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I have just purchased a 55 plate A8 Quattro Sport, its great.

I wanted to upgrade the sat nav as it had a 2006 dvd rom in it.

I now have a 2008 dvd which is a lot better.

Question is.... on my old A4 and A6 i had a 3D view in the sat nav...on the A8 i do not.

I have read that 3d view was standard, and certainly incl on a 2008 dvd.

Any help appreciated.

Simon

p.s. i have tried nav/setting/views and the 3d option is not there.:Blush:

Micha_elD
07-11-2009, 01:07 AM
The 3D view is only available if you update the firmware on the controller, MMI 5570 is the latest one.

Changing the map won't add the new functionality.

sdlangford
07-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for this, how do i update the mmi ?

Regards

Simon

Micha_elD
07-11-2009, 03:37 PM
The first thing to recognise is that this is a firmware update, not like a microsoft application update. When updating firmware there is always a small risk that something will go wrong, which leaves the device unusable. The only fix then is to buy a new device.

After years in IT, I'm always pretty cautious about firmware updates, but the important thing is to recognise the risk, consider the benefit of the upgrade, then make a reasoned decision about going ahead.

I updated my 2006 A8 because I wanted the 3D-maps, and to add a reversing camera, which the 2006 firmware didn't support.

OK, after all that, there are two ways to get the new firmware, which comes on 3 CDs. There are some guys selling them on eBay for about £22, or you can go to the main Audi dealer and buy them for abut £3.75!

You put the disc into slot 1 of the CD player, go into the service menu of the MMI, then start the update.

Have a look at this thread to get you started: http://audiforum.us/mmi/10810-mmi-2g-5570-a.html

Good luck!

sdlangford
08-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for this, is has been helpfull.

When you say small risk and if it goes wrong replace the unit....do you mean the entire MMI system ? that sounds a bit worrying.

Im just after the 3d nav views i had on my A6.

Simon

Micha_elD
08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
It depends what you update, its only the modules that you update that are at risk. Most people will apply all the updates that are on the discs, I did, even though i didn't really need them all!

I've heard of people losing the bluetooth module, others losing the MMI control. Most modules can be picked up from ebay for about £150.

To avoid damaging anything, the main points are:
1. Use a genuine Audi disc, you don't want a read failure part way through an update, that leaves the module in a complete mess.
2. Make sure there isn't any loss of power, and no power spikes during the update, so, don't operate the starter in the middle of the update, and either have the engine running, or have a battery charger attached throughout

That should give you a good, clean update

a8 tech
08-11-2009, 11:13 PM
The bt issue depends on the hardware version of your current unit, also mmi functions are lost but as long as you record the adaption channels in address 07 then you simply re enter each channel value after the update.
Depending on your current zug level some control units can go into componant protection but its very rare.
Consider what you are trying to achieve and if the zug level is very low additional cd updates are required before running the final release update.
Obviously I'm a licensed A8 Technician as well as other models I'm also a Master technician who also posts on the Audi us forum.
Initially select radio then press set up and return at the same time and hold them down until the hidden menu comes up.
Select the first line and post the current sw version (zug level), also scroll down until you highlight handyvorb and open this and post the hw and the sw versions as this is the BT

I have been updating MMI systems since launch and the phone prep issue is more likely for 4F A6 AND Q7, I have never crashed any A8 control units and Final release 3 cd pack is specific to phone prep type as there are 3 cd rom's and two of them are specific to phone to rewrite the control unit.
If you have access to your pr codes post the number ie 9ZW.

One last point
When the MMI has updated it should then be connected to the dealer vas online connection for feedback to the central fazzet data base to update the vehicles stored data for any future workshop actions.I would advise the update is carried out by the dealer and most will do this for free if your vehicle is booked in for other jobs as that's how I do it.
However 5570 is also part of a current campaign affecting only a few vehicles within a specific vin range and mainly due to prep issues.