PDA

View Full Version : Frost and window drop

eob
06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Well winter is on it's way in case you hadn't noticed.:D

And as the owner of a previous frameless windowed car I just want to know if anyone has any tips or tricks in how to deal with an iced up window drop?

What I used to do with my Astra Coupe was to wet a finger and run it along the bottom of the window at the seal which cleared enough space for the window to drop down. This worked for the first two winters but by the third, as seals and runners started to age, I had some nervous mornings where the window refused to drop and had to be pryed from the seal as the door opened and one or two where the door and glass were stuck fast and I had to revert to warm water.:bigeyes2:

First thing to do in the CC is obviously to change the courtesy settings so that only the drivers window drops when the car is unlocked, but does anyone know of any silicon sprays or something which will keep the rubber supple without ruining it?

Your thoughts please.
:beerchug:

Shadow CC
09-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Yikes frost already. You should move to Hampshire to solve the problem as we don't really expect frost for a few more months yet :D

Anyway I see what you mean about the elevator windows getting mightily upset when they can't "conveniently" open an inch to let you in.

Personally I have used Rain X for years on all the glass round the car and this seems to deter frost as well as rain, although doesn't solve it. Makes sense in that if you can make the glass as slippery as possible the water will slide off, especially on the sides so there is less to get frozen. :D

Failing that I guess it's gonna be a case of climbing through the boot. Oh the indignity of it all. :Blush::o

:beerchug:

Shadow CC

passat 130 tdi
09-11-2009, 06:03 PM
apply some vaseline on the door seal will help . worked on both my celicas.

STEWY L
09-11-2009, 06:05 PM
perhaps a thin smear of vasaline along the inside of the seals?
regards,
stewy.

STEWY L
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
great minds?

Shadow CC
09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
isn't that the same Vaseline which is rNOT ecommended to be used with certain er, um, rubber products as it rots them???? :o :Blush2::Blush:

Shadowy CC

STEWY L
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
perhaps a thin smear of vasaline along the inside of the seals?
regards,
stewy.

isn't that the same Vaseline which is rNOT ecommended to be used with certain er, um, rubber products as it rots them???? :o :Blush2::Blush:

Shadowy CC
probably,but we're not doing that:Blush2:
it seals sunroofs too;)
regards,
stewy.

passat 130 tdi
09-11-2009, 06:28 PM
great minds?

well us north east lads are pretty clever. :biglaugh:

eob
11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
It appears that you can't disable the window drop in the Convenience Menu. :Blush2:

onzarob
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM

Shadowy CC

get some silicone grease, it wont damage the rubber, but something like autoglym bumper care may be good , a small amount in groove would do the trick ;)

CarAudioCentre
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
hey,

Yeah, Vaseline always works for us. Give it a shot!

David.

JSH
11-11-2009, 06:20 PM
hey,

Yeah, Vaseline always works for us. Give it a shot!

David.

Beware ! Vaseline is a petroleum based product and does degrade rubber, I know to my cost!

Vaseline will attract muck grit etc it may scratch the glass, Id go the rainx / silicon route, I know people in Canada where temperatures get to -40 and they us silicon based furnature polish to stop the gasgets sticking to doors boot lid etc
John