PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 Golf GTi Electrical problem

keith52
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a 1991 Mk2 Golf GTi that has developed a habit of blowing the fuse for the number plate lights/instrument lights. The replacement fuse lasts a short time (a few hours) when the lights are being used. all the other components are working fine.

brianf
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a 1991 Mk2 Golf GTi that has developed a habit of blowing the fuse for the number plate lights/instrument lights. The replacement fuse lasts a short time (a few hours) when the lights are being used. all the other components are working fine.
Most likely due to an intermittent short-circuit caused by chafing, damp or a loose strand of wire. Can be difficult to trace if it's a chafed wire in a hidden location.

Boardboy
02-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Does the heated rear screen work? Where the loom runs in to the tail gate up by the hinges is good place to start as they sometimes break there.
Also check inside the tail gate.

Hope you get it sorted.

Boardboy

keith52
03-05-2007, 08:17 AM
HRS works perfectly. No obvious chaffing. I'll look more carefully though.

Goldfinga
10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi.. I have a VW Golf GTi MK2 with an electrical problem, and after doing a search before posting, I came across your thread...

Did you manage to sort out the problem?

My problem is this: First of all the reversing lights didn't work - everytime I put the gears into reverse the fuse blew. Then trying to check for 'continuity', I first disconnected the leads from the reverse gear switch on the gearbox... after reconnecting THAT'S when I had a bigger problem (Could I have replaced the connecting wires the wrong-way round?)

This time when I put the car into reverse there was a 'whining' sound and white smoke came from under the bonnet - The reverse switch in the gearbox had burned/melted - and also the red/black (positive?) wire thats connected.

After checking further, the covering on this wire had melted right up to the fuse box.

NOW.. when I put the key in the ignition there are no lights! (no ignition lights, instrument panel guages, indicators, headlamps) BUT the electric windows and central locking still operate - as does the car's radio alarm.

Might I have to replace the fuse box????

Any ideas???

Cheers, Chris AKA goldfinga

p.s. I've taken pics of everything - my idea is to try to create some kind of 'blog'