PDA

View Full Version : S8 buyers guide or advice?

stevetwood
01-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi, new to this forum, I have set myself the challenge of buying an S8 in the next couple of months. Looking for a 95 to 2000 model with less than 80K miles.

I've previously had a belly full of Japanese sports cars, I still have a Mk3 Supra and a Series 2 RX7 which I'm in the process of disposing of. The Supra has been a challenge from day 1 and the head gasket has just gone again. The forums were excellent and I'm hoping to benefit or contribute from here too.

Does anyone know of an S8 specific buyers guide or can anyone offer me some advice as what to watch out for when out looking to buy one of these fabulous cars?

My neighbour used to work for an Audi VW franchise and said that the main (read expensive) services to watch out for came at 60K mile intervals with a timing belt change etc. I tend to do my own oil changes every 3K with coolant and oil/airfilters where necessary. I've seen other notes about dimming headlights that are expensive? Any comments?

Thanks

S2AVANT
01-05-2007, 12:15 PM
All the usual stuff plus the gearbox needs to have had it's oil changed as per service schedule.

raymondsharps
05-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Also the right oil has to go in, no use penny-pinching on cheap oil if it will result in accelerated wear of expensive mechanicals.