PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Coolant

karachi_kops
04-11-2009, 03:20 PM
hi Guys

As my post is titled, I am finding that I am loosing coolant, not drastically but every week or 2 im having to put over half a litre to top off. I cant see any leaks as such after i pull up. So was wondering if any of you have any pointers?

Im not driving excessivly or driving too fast.

Any ideas?

Karachi Kops

Hex69
04-11-2009, 03:29 PM
hi Guys

As my post is titled, I am finding that I am loosing coolant, not drastically but every week or 2 im having to put over half a litre to top off. I cant see any leaks as such after i pull up. So was wondering if any of you have any pointers?

Im not driving excessivly or driving too fast.

Any ideas?

Karachi Kops

radiator leak or in one of the hoses, maybe.

see if the bottom of the radiator is wet (obviously on a dry day) :D

Alan02
04-11-2009, 04:36 PM
You aren`t overfilling the reservoir by any chance? fill only to `Max` level on bottle.Just a thought,as if so,it`ll be overfilling when coolant is hot and chucking excess out.

karachi_kops
04-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the posts guys

Im due to carry out a service later this month so I will make sure to have a look.

thinking about it, I am filling it to the MAX mark, i may go over a little but not overfilling. I was beginning to think the same in that it is throwing it out when the engine is hot. Is that normal and should i expect this?

passatman33
05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I had exactly the same problem i was losing coolant down to the min mark over a period of a week with no leaks around the engine the temp gauge was normal too. but noticed that the back of the expansion tank was wet around the overflow, kept an eye on this and it was definately coming out there.
To cut a long story short it was the head gasket leaking :aargh4:, even had it pressure tested and found no fault but as the gasket is made of several layers it tends to leak between them the garage couldn't even see where it was leaking . Had this replaced problem solved :D