PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk 6 towbar and electrics - help!

mrmagoo2
04-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi there, im new to the forum but have found all the info on towbars really helpful.

I have a golf Mark 6 and have bought the brand new (Oct 09) Witter VW63 Towbar which does not require a bumper cut:-)

However im stumped on the electrics: - I have the most recent PCT single 12N electric kit (£26) with all the relays etc. Some fitters say this set up would be fine others say i need the dedicated electrics at £120 or so and need codes on the computer changing. I dont really want to void the warrenty / insurance etc so am not sure what to do- has anyone else fitted these electrics to a golf 6?
Many thanks in advance
David

Gilesme
14-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Personally, I'd fit the bar myself, but get dedicated VW electrics, rather than bypass relays.

Not sure where you are, but you could try these for advice

http://www.ntta.co.uk/buyers_guide/results.aspx?CompanyName=127

mrmagoo2
16-11-2009, 11:14 AM
In the end I got a reputable local fitter to fit the bar and electrics and all is working perfectly so far. The Witter VW63 bar itself is excellent, the top of the flange ball is a fraction below the number plate, pretty unobtrusive (as far as towbars go) and crucially does not involve any bumper cut at all :-) Its finish is extremely neat.

Electrics-

The fitter did some research, he contacted the manufacturing companies [PCT i think] for assurances, prior to fitting the electrics and he said that it would be just fine to fit 12N electrics with bypass relays etc. Im only going to be towing a small trailer and a laser dinghy. He also said that he had been told that retrofitting the proper VW electrics would actually be a nightmare because apparently it would involve taking out a large amount of interior trim and disarming and removing the drivers knee airbag!! and it would also cost a fortune.

Anyway the costs were:
witter VW63 towbar= £120
electrics £26
full fitting £150 including VAT
not bad for about £300 :-)

I also bought a witter bike rack that slots into an attachment that i preinstalled on the towbar. It carries 4 bikes and takes about 20seconds to attach to the car. As it does not involve using the towball I can tow a trailer while carrying bikes which is great!

all in all really really pleased

vanito
03-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi

I saw your post from a long time ago.

My question is, can you let me have the name / details of your fitter?
He sounds good and I am after somebody to fit a towbar to my 2011 golf estate mark 6

Cheers

Gary

Fluid driver
26-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Electrics-

The fitter did some research, he contacted the manufacturing companies [PCT i think] for assurances, prior to fitting the electrics and he said that it would be just fine to fit 12N electrics with bypass relays etc. Im only going to be towing a small trailer and a laser dinghy. He also said that he had been told that retrofitting the proper VW electrics would actually be a nightmare because apparently it would involve taking out a large amount of interior trim and disarming and removing the drivers knee airbag!! and it would also cost a fortune

Im interested in this also but the above kinda freaks me out !
losing the drivers knee bag ? Is this 100% right ?
Anyone have any up to date /main dealer info about dedicated electrics ?
thank you

carpetdaz
27-06-2022, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=Fluid driver;771535]Im interested in this also but the above kinda freaks me out !
losing the drivers knee bag ? Is this 100% right ?
Anyone have any up to date /main dealer info about dedicated electrics ?
I am currently exploring the options of fitting a towbar on my 2010 golf estate. I was thinking of dedicated electrics but now thinking of universal with the airbag situation. Seen fitting directions for dedicated and no mention of airbag can anyone confirm and explain there experiences?

Crasher
28-06-2022, 10:23 AM
I will only fit the genuine VW accessory kits, they come with a coding and software version management card so, using ODIS, the VW server in Germany sets up the cars systems and registers the changes on the cars build list.