PDA

View Full Version : Head lights.

mark.abersoch
04-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Hello, Just joined after gettin my A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport.

Ive brought it as a damaged one. I need some new headlights and was wondering do i go for the standard ones or change them to Angel eye ones or LED strip ones?

What does everyone think?

Thanks

Turbokiisseli
04-11-2009, 01:32 PM
95% of the aftermarket, tuning, ding-a-ling, etc. headlights have really poor light output, so I suggest you look into the standard halogen or xenon headlights. Depo also make them quite cheaply. Their's are not quite as good as the original Valeos but a whole lot better than most of the "tuning" lights.

IMHO angel-eyes on Audis look ridiculous, but that's just me :)

mark.abersoch
10-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I ended up getting some second hand genuine ones.

Before I fit them im going to replace all the bulbs. I want to have a brighter bulb in them?

What do people recommend?

Thanks

RickT
11-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Before I fit them im going to replace all the bulbs. I want to have a brighter bulb in them?

Thanks

HIDS,

Or a set of Osrams

Rick

danclyon
11-11-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks

Osram Nightbreakers.....just got a set in mine and they are a VAST improvement over the normal bulbs. One of the forum sponsors sells them but I found them cheaper at another outlet. To not annoy the sponsor - PM me if you want information?

Cheers,
Dan.

bez101
11-11-2009, 11:24 PM
HIDS i use 10k but 6k are the norm for good light glad u didnt spoil your car with the angels

mark.abersoch
12-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Yea, decided not to change it too much. Im just waiting on the rest of the parts to get it on the road.

Cant wait for be driving it,

Thanks for your help.

SebRogers
13-11-2009, 03:26 PM

I fitted a set of the Philips X-Treme Power (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-Philips-X-treme-Power-80-bulbs-pair.html) H7s recently. Stupid name, brilliant bulbs well worth the extra over standard H7s. Very noticeable difference, and I just couldn't go back to the normal setup now. I would think the Osrams are very similar.

HTH.

Marc1
14-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Led, side lights
HID 4300k, dipped beam
Philips X-Treme Power, main beam

LEDs and 4300k Hid give a good crisp white light with very good light output (4300k are best for light output, the higher the k the more blue / purple you get with reduced light output - hence OEM are 4300k). Slim ballasts mounted in the OEM housing (as per OEM xenon, in the slot under the headlight). Main beam is considerally brighter than stock but shows slightly yellowy against the HID's, but they are not used much and it's all about usuable light. Probably spent about £100 for everything and have been very reliable. You can get similiar HID's for around £35 now too which have had good feedback from A4 owners.

qa15ar
16-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Led, side lights
HID 4300k, dipped beam
Philips X-Treme Power, main beam

LEDs and 4300k Hid give a good crisp white light with very good light output (4300k are best for light output, the higher the k the more blue / purple you get with reduced light output - hence OEM are 4300k). Slim ballasts mounted in the OEM housing (as per OEM xenon, in the slot under the headlight). Main beam is considerally brighter than stock but shows slightly yellowy against the HID's, but they are not used much and it's all about usuable light. Probably spent about £100 for everything and have been very reliable. You can get similiar HID's for around £35 now too which have had good feedback from A4 owners.

I am looking for a kit where the ballasts fit under the headlight, any suggestions?

Marc1
16-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Any slim ballast H7 kit from Ebay should do. Se of them photograph the ballast next to a credit card etc to show scale which will help you. I'd just try and go with one that says it won't cause errors, to save you buying resistors.