PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Polo 1.4L Condensation problem?

djh17cp
01-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Hi all, would really appreciate it if someone can help with a problem I'm having with my Polo. About a year ago the car developed an occasional misfire witch got worse and worse until the engine cut out. Eventually traced the problem to the wiring loom junction connector next to the engine which was full of water. Checked for leaks from hoses and radiator and found none, so dried it out and all was well. Couple of weeks later the misfire returned and there was more water in the connector. Subsequently water has also appeared in the speedo sender unit leading to its failure and other plastic units under the bonnet.

I really am baffled by this. The problem started for no apparent reason, there are no leaks, the car hardly ever gets washed (let alone the engine), and the state of the weather makes no difference. I have tried to isolate the connector by completely taping it up, but water still accumulates inside after a couple of weeks of driving. So, I can only think that it is a condensation problem.

Anyone out there got any ideas about this. What's causing the problem and how do we solve it??

Thanks!!

shooey88
07-05-2007, 06:48 PM
do you have a sun roof? condensation in a car is the first sign of a water leak.

djh17cp
10-05-2007, 10:58 PM
No, no sun roof. The condensation problem is all under the bonnet.

shooey88
10-05-2007, 11:12 PM
condensation under the bonnet?! not a coolant leak then from engine dripping onto your effected wiring?

djh17cp
11-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Checked all hoses, radiator, etc. etc. and there are no leaks anywhere. I'm completely at a loss with this.