PDA

View Full Version : How Far Does a Curtain Airbag Come Out

iaint
01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I have a Tom Tom Go which despite looking at several different ways of mounting it, I still stick it to the window using the suction holder.

In my previous car I used to mount it in the very bottom right of my windscreen as I found it the least intrusive position, however my Passat has curtain airbags which means I am having to stick it in the centre of the screen which I don't really like.

However, while driving recently I have noticed more and more cars, which I know to have curtain airbags, with a sat nav mounted in the bottom right of the screen. I suspect that most if not all of these drivers are not aware of the dangers a sat nav can pose after being sent flying by an airbag going off and it's not that they are mounting it far enough away that it would avoid being hit in the event of an accident.

So my question is, how far away from the curtain airbags could I safely mount my Tom Tom or am I better to leave it in the middle of the screen.

Thanks
Iain

MalcQV
01-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I am one of those unaware people, though having read what you say I will still place it bottom right . I guess it is a trade off between the chance of the air bags going off after a side impact and the fact that placing it in the middle of the screen means I can't bloody see out :D:D:D