PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises on 2.0 TDI @170 PS - DSG

Grim
03-11-2009, 05:24 PM
When I go over small bumps (at low speeds) on the road, I ocasionally hear the noise coming from the wheels or somwhere under the engine compartment. OT can not be heard inside the cabin, only when the windos are down.

The VW mechanic explained that this is due to a brake disks being large, and that due to that reason the spacing between the disk and the brake jaws is larger. He explained that for this reason, when I go over speed bumps diagonally, the jaws are rattling against the disks?

I dont know, but this does not seem reasonable??

Any info on this.

regards

eob
06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Does it sound tinny?
If it is then it's the brake shield plate. Just needs pulled back slightly.

I'd be worried about the brake caliper touching anything other than the brake pads and the mounting bracket!!

Grim
07-11-2009, 12:35 PM
yes. it sound tinny, like two sheets of metal toching each other 3-4 times.

eob
07-11-2009, 01:17 PM
That'd be my first port of call then. You should be able to move them back slightly yourself if you don't fancy a dealer visit.

johnloaderuk
07-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Jaws are rattling agains the discs ? :confused:. Why does the diagonal crossing of speed bumps, or crossing of any uneven surface for that matter, have this effect. Surely not right.

As this may be brake related I'd go straight to the dealer, brake related issues cannot be ignored, and it seems the VW mechanic suggested that's where the issue lies.

Why didn't the mechanic do smething about it immediately - may only be a 5 minute fix as eob suggested.