PDA

View Full Version : Please Help electrical failure

metalwood0
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi all, i have an 06 alambhra and yesterday while driving the radio went dead, abs, airbag and brake warning lights came on and a warning beeper was beeping 3 times. the car went dead on side of road and had to be jumpstarted.

the brake wear indicator has been on for a few days now and needs full service which is planned shortly. i got the battery changed and all was fine, started this morning went for a few miles and then the same thing happenned.

anybody have experience of this before?.....................Please Help!!!!!!!!!:1zhelp:

Crasher
03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a failed alternator or dead cell battery.

metalwood0
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
i replaced battery yesterday so i cant be that i may need to look at altenator
is there any way of testing it on the car or does it have to removed for testing?

thanks

Crasher
03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it on volts? Engine off the battery voltage should be around 12 volts, with the engine running it should jump up to nearly 14 volts without revving it very high, just off idle. If you have to rev it to say 3000 rpm to get the voltage to jump up, there is probably a fault with the alternator warning light circuit, if it does not go up at all, more than likely the alternator itself.

metalwood0
04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I checked it with multi meter and battery is around 12 V with the altenator sending out 14V but the battery is not receiving any power so there is something wrong between the Altenator and the battery any suggestion?
thanks

Crasher
05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
An open circuit, i.e. a broken wire.

metalwood0
09-11-2009, 12:40 PM
yes.........took it to seat dealer after a few mechanics scratchin heads and the cable from altenator to battery had burned out ............just replaced it jobs a good one.........thanks for the info Crasher