PDA

View Full Version : Gilders of Rotherham

DrT
01-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I bought my ex-fleet Passat 1.8T two and a half years ago. After 6 months, I took it to Gilders of Rotherham for a service. When I collected it, they said, "We've found "a couple of faults on the computer but we've cleared them. If they come back at the next service, we'll investigate".

According to the invoice I received, one of those faults was the MAP sensor. I'm not a trained VW mechanic, or even a trained mechanic, but what would you do if the computer showed up a MAP Sensor fault? You'd have a look at it wouldn't you? Apparently not! The reason for the fault was that the intercooler was on upside down, so the MAP Sensor was actually at the bottom and couldn't be reached by the connector. A simple glance at the MAP Sensor by the mechanic would have revealed the problem.

I have the full fleet service history for the car and nowhere does it show that the intercooler has ever been off. Could it have been factory fitted upside down?

I'm currently in conversation with VW after Gilders couldn't offer a suitable explanation. Watch this space....

This photo shows the intercooler before I turned it the right way up.
http://www.longleypark.ac.uk/drt/pict1319.jpg

Sam
01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I've followed your original threads with interest on the other forum.

Good luck getting it resolved - you possibly have a Friday car - have there been any other problems?

DrT
01-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Go on then, what's a Friday car? :D
Other than what's already been posted on the other forum, I've had no major problems. It goes like a rocket now but I daren't sustain any high engine speeds because I know it's overdue for a timing belt change. Last done at 60K, now got 143K :Blush2: I know, I know. I'm hoping Gilders will give me a good deal seeing as they messed up last time around.

It does have a very slight hesitation at about 4000 revs but nothing to cause concern I don't think. The only other thing I've noticed is that I can now hear the engine on idle from inside the car whereas I couldn't before. It's almost as though I can hear the ticking of the camshafts on the valve stems.

Sam
01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
You know how by the time you reach the end of the week all you can think about is going home. Maybe the engine in your car was built/assembled on a Friday afternoon. - Friday Car!

The hesitation at 4krpm rings a bell, I'll do some digging, because I think another owner had a similar problem. His turned out to be a bad turbo - which explained why he got wasted by a Citroen Paxo.

With the few problems ironed out it must be like driving a different car. The ticking also sounds familiar, but I don't know if the MAP/MAF sensor and upturned IC have anything to do with it. Perhaps once the TB is changed the noise may go...?

Aren't cars fun.