PDA

View Full Version : Sticking reverse gear!

omar_K
30-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a B6 A4 1.8T 190ps 6 speed. I have only had the car 7 months and love it, but I've noticed that sometimes when I try to put it into reverse it sticks and doesnt like to go in. I either have to force it or try 1st and 2nd before selecting reverse again.
I took it to Audi and they said it needed adjusting, so they adjusted it. It was exactly the same afterwards, so they told me it was normal to sometimes stick in reverse. (They didn't charge me as it went in on their advise for something it apparently didn't need).

But now it is doing it more frequently. Does anyone have any ideas why it is doing this?
Will it get worse? Is it going to be costly??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
http://www.audi-forums.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

sbuk73
20-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Hey Dude, I have exactly the same problem you mentioned with the reverse gear and have owned my A4 since new. I have to say that it wasn't noticable when in the first couple of years, I think it only started happening after 2 years of driving. I asked the local Audi garage about it, they just said sometimes it gets a bit like that ... not very helpful. But one thing which they did say which I have got used to doing is. Always coming to a complete stop then lifting off the clutch completely and then re-engage it and put it into reverse, then it seems to be fine ... I've had all the other servicing done on it etc so I know there is nothing else wrong with it. Anyway it's a cracking car and great engine, so I'm sure you're having fun with it.

omar_K
05-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Hey thanks for writing up man, much appreciated!

I'll give that technique a try- stopping completely, the releasing the clutch before engaging (or attempting to engage) reverse.
I do love the car though! The problem doesnt really bother me, as long as it's not the start of a gearbox/clutch/flywheel problem!

Ps. Have you had a remap? Cos I'm really considering one, but I'm unsure if the risk of damage- especially to the gearbox/clutch/flywheel!

sbuk73
05-08-2007, 12:32 PM
I would be glad to hear about someone elses experiences of remapping ECU's and tinkering with the standard engine. From my previous experiences of tinkering with a perfectly good car resulted in way too many costly bills and bits of engine which started falling off, granted those were not Audi days but has still left a bitter after taste. :biglaugh: