PDA

View Full Version : Question tdi pd 115 starting & idle issue

chapperz
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi All, New to the forum (not forums in general just this one), looks great, hoping someone can help me?

Issue
When starting (normally after a short run of a few miles) the car tends to rev as it starts, with a bit of smoke. I would describe it as an erratic rev of 2000-3000 rpm. As if someone is revving in that range. It will then settle down.

On another occasion it did the same thing, but i noticed that the glow plug light didn't go out. I turned off the ignition, left it 30 seconds and tried again, same result glow plug light still on. Started the car and the erratic revving for a few seconds then back to normal.

Also noted on a few occasions, that after 5 mins of driving i come to a set of lights. Whilst sat (on red) i've noticed the revs are slightly higher (1100-1200 rpm) Like the choke is on?

Bit puzzled that this could end up being serious, but also could be simple fix, after reading on here.
Especially after reading the following thread
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10354&highlight=reving+starting

I am certainly no expert, but am competent mechanically.
Any help gladly accepted

Car is a 2000 w reg passat tdi pd115 se saloon
So far been a great car only required a new rad (instructions for change from a forum) and 2 x cv joints/boots, and 1 x battery. Other parts are what i would expect to change at services or wearing parts. Had it 7 years has 90000 on the clock.

Many Thanks
Paul
:1zhelp:

Crasher
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
A fault code read is the best start and I would expect it to come back with a coolant temp sender fault code and these are easy and cheap to replace.