PDA

View Full Version : Question Do you get better results using a machine to polish?

beachy
01-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Guys,

I have just had my car keyed down the drivers side so its off for a respray. I have been talking to loads of people about polishing. I have always used Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Will I get better results if I use a machine to polish? Is this polish suitable for machine polishing?

If machine polishing is better what machine should I buy??

Col
01-11-2009, 01:59 PM
You will get better results.

BUT

And its a big one, you could serously damage otherwise good paint if you get it wrong.

However

Do some research online to find out what to use and be very very careful. A lot of people start off with a Porta Cable polisher which is relatively safe but only once your up to speed with which compounds and mops heads to use.

beachy
01-11-2009, 03:08 PM
My car doesnt really need compounding its more the fact it needs a higher shine!

Just found one of those buffing machines on ebay! Gonna see if the guy will post it!

Do you need to use special polish or is Auto Glym Super Resin ok?

I know this is a hot topic but what wax should I use on top of that? Should I use a machine to apply that as well?

Col
01-11-2009, 06:14 PM
You need to do some reading up on this.

If you car is not as shiny as you think it should then it may well need some correction as a starting point.

The Autoglym SRP is very good stuff and there is no advantage applying it with a machine. As good as it is though if the starting point isn't good enough you won't get the best results. Have you clayed the paint, used a paint resoter / cleaner before the SRP ?

With regard to wax, that is a very personal thing and almost everyone will have a different product they will recommend. Again online research will help you make an informed decision on this.

For reference, I use Autoglym SRP topped off with either Collinite 476. Between big waxing and polishing sessions though I use Autoglym Extra gloss protection.

As above though, someone will come on here and have a very different view.

paul b
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I have to agree with Big Col on the polishing with SRP view - I used my rotary polisher first to apply Farecla G10 (which worked well) and then applied the SRP with the polisher. The SRP didn't seem to be massively better while applied with the rotary, although it was as good as. Any benefit was marginal.

While we are briefly on the subject of wax, Big Col may I ask where you purchased the Collinite 476? I intend to try it for myself...

Cheers,
Paul

Col
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I have to agree with Big Col on the polishing with SRP view - I used my rotary polisher first to apply Farecla G10 (which worked well) and then applied the SRP with the polisher. The SRP didn't seem to be massively better while applied with the rotary, although it was as good as. Any benefit was marginal.

While we are briefly on the subject of wax, Big Col may I ask where you purchased the Collinite 476? I intend to try it for myself...

Cheers,
Paul

The 476 online, do a search as there are loads selling it. Not sure if any of the site sponsers flog it though.

Have to say, I've tried all sorts and the 476 is the best. It isn't the easiest to apply and might not be the shiniest of the lot but by God does it last !

It is a proper old fashioned paste wax that smells like fly killer unlike a lot of the highly perfumed stuff. I love it and use it on all sorts as well as the car.

paul b
02-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks a lot! :beerchug: