PDA

View Full Version : ECU Tuning to 185 bhp....worth it ?

topgazza
30-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm considering getting my cars ECU remapped to improve performance and as importantly economy and smoothness. I have a 1.9 TDi 130 bhp which, of course, is not exactly sluggish. the remapping brings it up to 185bhp and more importantly 310 ft lbs of torque.

Its very tempting and is from a reputable company at £340. I'm really looking for anyone thats had this done or "convincing" that my already powerful 130 bhp car would be that much better with the rmapping

devonutopia
30-04-2007, 06:20 PM
A good custom remap transforms a standard pd130. Much much better after one, but make sure it's a reputable company. Admittedly I have lots of mods done to my pd130 but I'm currently custom mapped by a very reputable tuner to 221bhp, and next week will be remapped again by them and hoping for close to 300. :)

topgazza
30-04-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm using Celtic Tuning who have an excellent reputation and offer a 14 day no quibble money back guarantee.

Although my car is only 14 months old and I drive it quite steady I am looking forward to a "petrol" feel to the driving experience. It seems a big jump and as I say the car, at 130, is probably the best TDi in terms of power and economy.....but I think I will see that improve......

300 ? Thats a lot....

minty0_10
30-04-2007, 09:54 PM
especially from a 1.9 diesel!

devonutopia
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
especially from a 1.9 diesel!

I have a lot done though. Biggest hybrid turbo the 1.9 can handle, performance cam, FMIC, nitrous AND lpg injection, straight through exhaust - basically modified the engine as far as it can really go and still be user friendly as a daily commuter hack. :)

topgazza
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Slight aside to my original question.....but as I'm commited to have the remap done tomorrow its a moot one....

lpg in a diesel car ? How so ? I've read many a website none of which claim it can be done... with any confidence. How much and who ?

ini
01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
What are your 0-60 times in the Fabia? :D

minty0_10
01-05-2007, 07:21 PM
you can run lpg on a diesel car but... unlike a petrol car witch will run on lpg alone a diesel will only run on a mix of both diesel and petrol together

guyg
01-05-2007, 09:25 PM
hoping for close to 300. :)

Bloody hell Jason - you'll be able to give the chavs in their scoobies a good run for their money!;)

Your car facinates me - where will you go from here?

Cheers

Guy

devonutopia
01-05-2007, 09:51 PM
"What are your 0-60 times in the Fabia?"

Approximately 7 seconds flat at the moment due to needing 2 gearchanges

"Your car facinates me - where will you go from here?"

Nowhere really in power terms. Will be then looking at weight savings, and handling / power control - Got a limited slip diff being fitted into a spare gearbox at the moment. :D

The LPG is an interesting thing, and I'll give a brief intro to it. Basically I have a small tank in the boot, with a VAPOUR only take off valve fitted. This vapour is at full pressure to the first red regulator, which cuts down the pressure to about 40PSI. Then, there's a boost tap from my intercooler which goes into the black regulator, and this senses at 5psi it starts injecting, and the rate increases as boost rises, providing extra fuel. It helps with economy too. It really chucks the lpg in at 30psi. :D See pic below. The blue thing is the NOS solenoid which starts injecting (on/off only) at 21PSI so is a full throttle additive - cooling down the charged air really well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/shanehandley/SL700076.jpg

minty0_10
01-05-2007, 10:27 PM
wow thats a bit complex lol just one question why did you start off with a fabia? nothing wrong with the car its self but would have thought a a3 would have been a nice base model to start from.

devonutopia
01-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I never was into modifying until I was a year or more into Fabia ownership. Plus, it's something a little different. "A Skoda? W.T.F?" is the usual response.

minty0_10
02-05-2007, 11:01 AM
even more a skoda diesel with 300bhp w.t.f lol

topgazza
04-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Lining up to visit our friend Mark at Chip and Spin in in a couple of weeks and really looking forward to it...

The insurance side of things I will take care of and I also note a number of questions about warranty. Of course on a normal service there is no practical way a service dept can tell if you have been remapped but if your car is still under warranty and you have something like a turbo fault or other problem that would require a road test then I would have thought any mechanic would be able to tell that a car is performing waaaaay above its model type. Then, if they investigate further on their rolling road (or could they ?) you could end up with the warranty invalid and a very expensive repair bill......

Worth a thought

Zub
04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
So are there any negatives to getting the power increased? Does the clutch slip? I have a TDI130 4motion and am thinking about getting it remapped.

topgazza
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I have not read a single mechanical reason why not. Don't thrash the car, keep it maintained and it will fine. Several people I know at work have a mixture of chips, boxes and remapping...not a single problem reported.

devonutopia
04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Clutch will slip when pushed to 185/190 on a pd130. I got a decent clutch fitted before I even got tuned up. Case of factoring in stuff before you go ahead and do it (bit like shutting the stable door before the horse bolts - if that makes sense)