PDA

View Full Version : 2wd Vs 4wd

xerian
31-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi all, I am in the market for a new Tiguan and am not sure which varient to go for, I am tied between the 1.4tsi SE 2wd and the 2.0 SE 4wd (not the slightest bit interested in diesels!)
I will just be using it for commuting and the odd trip out, I am basically just going for the shape of the car not the 4wd capabilities. Is the 2wd just as safe as the 4wd under normal conditions? ( I begrudge paying an extra £1630 on something I don't think I will need! )
Also is the 1.4 capable enough with this car, or do you think the 2.0 engine suits the car better?
Any comments will be gratefully received. Thank you.

GeoffPaysBasque
20-11-2009, 11:53 AM
We're just about to buy a new Tiguan as well.. We're going for a 2WD 2.0 TDi 140 SE..
2WD because previously we had 2 Honda CR-Vs and in approx 5 yrs of ownership I reckon we were in 4WD all of about 2 mins total..
Nice to have but like you I think it's a luxury I can do without. Plus better fuel economy with the 2WD.
Why a diesel? We've had other diesels before (not the CR-Vs which were both petrol) but a test drive of the one we're going for convinced us. Extremely torquey and quiet.. If you compare the torque figures for the 1.4 TSI vs the 2.0 TDi the diesel has almost 50% more torque and what's more its power is delivered lower in the rev range.
But we're all different - so all I'd say is don't dismiss the 2.0 diesel before you've driven one.
Regards
Geoff