PDA

View Full Version : A4-Tdi STARTING PROBLEMS!! PLEASE HELP

nadeem1919
30-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Dear all, sometimes when I start my Audi after stopping for a few minutes it does'nt start first time. As soon as i turn the key, the starter turns as per usual but there is a very LOUD Clunking noise for about 2 seconds whilst the car is trying to start. Sometimes it just makes a bad noise. As soon as the car has started the clunking sound dissapears. The problem is only on warm start. From cold the car starts excellent. P.s I have recently had a Pipercross sports air filter fitted and oil change. I also changed the starter but no difference. Also, every time i take it to the garage it never goes wrong.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Kind Regards.

dxrob
25-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Think it would be very difficult to diagnose/pinpoint the problem, however, quite alot of these situations are resolved by covering the boring basics/obvious places.
Have you had a chance to repeat the lead up to the noise, but get someone else to start it up, so you can bung your head under the bonnet and at least possibly locate where exactly its coming from. Hope it helps.

arman123
26-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Have you had a scan on it to see if any codes and one more thing the airfilter you pit on if it's oil based then that will kill your maf So do a scan first

alirion
02-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Dear all, sometimes when I start my Audi after stopping for a few minutes it does'nt start first time. As soon as i turn the key, the starter turns as per usual but there is a very LOUD Clunking noise for about 2 seconds whilst the car is trying to start. Sometimes it just makes a bad noise. As soon as the car has started the clunking sound dissapears. The problem is only on warm start. From cold the car starts excellent. P.s I have recently had a Pipercross sports air filter fitted and oil change. I also changed the starter but no difference. Also, every time i take it to the garage it never goes wrong.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Kind Regards.

i have exactly the same problem.i narrowed it down to the flywheel but im still on denial couse its a lot of money to do it. unfortunately thats very common problem for a4 tdi and if you dont do it it will ruin your gearbox. let me know how it went for u.

greent2
14-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi, I to have the same fault.. Cold start is fine but on a hot start the car sounds like a bag of spanners... You mentioned the flywheel could be faulty but my car is an automatic.. Has anyone resolved this issue..?

yaman
14-08-2011, 03:37 PM
The clunking may be secondary to your hot-starting problem, try replacing
the coolant temp sensor.

Regards
Jim

greent2
14-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks Jim, I have changed the coolant sensor and it's still the same, scanned with VAG-com etc, no faults present.. Not sure what angle to take now..

yaman
15-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks Jim, Not sure what angle to take now..

Next step is to get an 'engine measuring block scan' done.

Regards
Jim