PDA

View Full Version : can I remap for 1.8 non turbo????

vinpetrol
29-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi can anyone tell me can I remap or chip etc to get more performance from my 1.8 5v engine in my 99 B5 .

If so what will it do to fuel consumption ?

Vin

kite
29-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Not really worth it fr the gain on N/A car.

vinpetrol
29-10-2009, 09:48 PM
thaks kite . Does anyone try anything with these engines or just upgrade to a car with a better engine . I have a B 6 1.9 tdi which I know can be improved but it is the family car that replaced the B5 . The thing is I am toiling with keeping the B5 as the wife and I have a soft spot for the car and it is in very good condition. I have enquired about transplanting a diesel into the B5 but was told its too difficult . Would a 1.8 turbo be an easier proposition ?

Vin

kite
29-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Keep it and potter about.
Or buy a turbo and mod the **** off it....

vinpetrol
29-10-2009, 11:19 PM
cheers , I will mull it over for a while

Copiertech
30-10-2009, 01:18 AM
if your after more go the inlet manifold on the n\a models lend themselves to diy modding to fit bike throttle bodies and individual trumpets but you need to replace the engine managment with something like megasquirt which doesnt need an AMM to calculate load. using a similar setup with cams and porting on my old 2.0 16v astra gte got 202 bhp. on my old audi 100 just ditching the afm and modifying the standard throttle body and running megasquirt gained substantial power and mpg. Lots of wiring and adjustment involved though but theres not many quick easy big gains for most n/a engines

Tour-De-Force
30-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm afraid we don't offer anything for the NA 20V. Whilst some NA engines respond well to calibration tweeks unfortunately this isn't one of them and gains would be limited at best.

As Copiertech has mentioned changes to the induction system can bring very good results and we will shortly be supplying a customer with an engine control solution for a NA 20V on port throttles based around our EC1 Motorsport ECU.

Best Regards
Matt

vinpetrol
31-10-2009, 01:48 PM
hi Matt

thanks for your input. I would be interested to know what engine control solution you rerfer to and what gains can be achieved. also how difficult are they to fit

Vin