PDA

View Full Version : Big Problems with Passenger Window not closing, sounds really bad!

mr c
29-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Driving home this evening, and it was a bit misty in the car, so i drove off with the blowers on full, and the windows wound down.
The drivers side window went down just fine, however the passenger side sounded like some sort of plastic sheet was getting chewed up and it sounded really nasty :confused:
I pulled over and had a play with the window switch, and it made it worse!!!
The bloody window stuck in the 'down' position, and i think i need to get the door panells off to sort it, and remove what ever is causing this nasty sounding blockage :aargh4:

Has this happened to anyone else??? :confused::confused::confused:
Sounds proper ropey when you try to wind it up/down :(

996jimbo
30-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I had the same problem with the drivers side. I took the door card off but then you are presented with a solid alloy panel with the window mechanism fixed to the other side. The panel does come off but (after looking at the Haynes Manual) I think you have to detach and remove the window glass first.

As I was at work I didn't fancy stripping the whole thing down fully so I prized the panel off as much as I could (painful on the finger tips) and squirted Plus Gas at any bits of mechanism I could see. It now works, but I try and avoid using it until I can be bothered to dismantle it fully and do a proper job of checking what's going wrong.

kenney
30-10-2009, 02:27 PM
The widow lift devise is part of the assembly carrier and most likely the wires have corroded

krautmender
30-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Sounds like the cables have frayed and jammed up the mechanism. Quite a common fault !

mr c
30-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.

Ive had a good luck at trying to get the door card off to have a peek inside, but im dammed if i know where the screws are, and can only find a step by step guide for the drivers side door card on t'interweb :aargh4:

Is it an expensive thing to get fixed at a garage before i go making a mess??
Im selling the car soon, as ive had loads of trouble with it, and to be honest i wish id never bought it in the first place :(

kenney
30-10-2009, 06:47 PM
It is not the easiest of jobs if you have not done it before,the passenger door is much the same,pm your e-mail address and i will send you the info how

peagreenpassat
06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I fixed my window regulator 2 weeks ago. Cable had snapped. Bought the cable kit on ebay for about £20 and did it all myself. the complete regulator is about £80-90 to buy and probably the same for a mechanic to fit for you as you would need to re fit the speaker if you by a new regulator.