PDA

View Full Version : retro fit rear/front parking sensors

kenmac
28-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Anyone know of a reasonably priced option to retrofit some parking sensor capability (using the inbuilt screen if possible). Tiguan 2.0 TDI (170) with bi-xenon lights

langdale32
08-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Buying the sensors is the easy bit!! As I want to fit an electromagnetic system (no holes required and can live with a tow bracket) I've been trying, through this forum (see earlier posting) to establish how the rear bumper can be removed so said system can be fitted. Looks to me as if a NASA engineer (who can speak German) is required. It also looks as if you have a go fitting the system yourself, you will end up rogering a number of plastic clips which will have to be replaced as they have been designed for putting together not taking apart!!

It's probably cheaper to wait until you hit something and have the sensors fitted during the repair!!

Flash2
09-03-2010, 12:29 AM
The Tiguan is probably the easiest VW to fit parking sensors too. The reverse light is right on the rear bumper, not on the tailgate. That makes wiring it up a doddle. You don't even have to remove a single boot trim, never mind the bumper. That's for the normal type with the 4 sensors, mind you.

I wouldn't waste any time/money on front sensors. They don't work closer than about 50cms and I think you position the car closer than that just by looking out the front window.

As for rear sensors, the Veba/Sumex type are as good as any. Cost less than £30 too. I wouldn't get the ones with the display unit though. The sounder is tiny and too quiet and it looks tacky.
The sensors supplied by VW for retrofit are made by Cobra. You can buy the Cobra Parkmaster on the net for about £80, saving you a few quid over the VW price.

The Cobra sensors are a better fit than the cheaper types that aren't held as securely into the bumper. But are they worth the extra £50?

Regards - Jim

robert1967
21-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Hi Flash2,

I have bought the Cobra Parkmaster system for my Tiguan.

Do you know if it's absolute necessary to use the angle adaptors? I think the most aeshetic way is not using them only fitting the four parking sensors.

Maybe you can help me.

Flash2
21-03-2010, 01:23 PM
You don't need the adapters for the Tiguan. Infact, I've never used them ever.
I don't fancy cutting the holes you would need to fit them.

Regards.

Jim.

robert1967
21-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks a lot Jim.

It's more that the angle adaptors are possibly needed because the bumper of the Tiguan has a little angle (about 8 degrees), and because of that the Cobra sensor wouldn't be completely right-angle and possibly could give false alarms (curbs f.e.).

But i think the bumper of the Tig is high enough and the angle small enough.