PDA

View Full Version : MOT failure on a good 2.6

01alam
27-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi all,

Just had my A6 2.6 Auto tested for MOT and it failed on 1 thing, which I thought was actually quite impressive. Since I have only recently acquired the car and spent quite a lot getting the cambelt fitted, I would ideally want to keep it.

I am wondering what this means: quoting from MOT cert. "(frontpipe/cat joint) Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases"

The MOT tester at Kwik fit says because the bolts that connect these are rusted, it is no longer providing a good seal. He said he could fit some new bolts to see if this problem persist, he also noted that paste could not be used as it would just blow out.

However, he said if the new bolt doesn't work, I would need to get a new Cat(s) and new front pipe(s).

My question is has anyone had the same experience as I did. Whether fitting new bolts would actually help and whether I could just ask a garage to weld it?

Woudl really appreciate your help as I would be "car-less" for the next couple of days and I need it for my daily commute.

Thanks,
Angus

01alam
28-10-2009, 02:19 PM
All sorted out now, took the garage 2 hours to drill out the old rusted and snapped bolts and nuts. Replaced with new buts and bolts. Car doesn't rattle anymore and is now much quieter.