PDA

View Full Version : Golf, Leon or A3

spib
29-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new around here :) but I'm looking for some advice about a new car. I'm looking at the Leon (probably stylance), the Golf (probably GT) or the A3 fastback and I'm undecided which to go for. The build quality on all three looks excellent but the Golf and the A3 seem to be slightly better. Also, the interior of the golf and A3 looks better than the Leon but to be honest, I still really like the Leon.

Has anyone got any opinions about the 3?

Thanks

James

prolfe
29-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new around here :) but I'm looking for some advice about a new car. I'm looking at the Leon (probably stylance), the Golf (probably GT) or the A3 fastback and I'm undecided which to go for. The build quality on all three looks excellent but the Golf and the A3 seem to be slightly better. Also, the interior of the golf and A3 looks better than the Leon but to be honest, I still really like the Leon.

Has anyone got any opinions about the 3?

Thanks

James

Hi

I looked at and test drove for a weekend:

Audi A4 1.9 Tdi
Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 140 Sportback S Line
Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 170 Sportback Quattro S Line
BMW 120d SE
Ford Fiesta ST
Ford Mondeo ST 150bhp diesel
Honda Civic 2.2d Sport/SE
Jaguar X-Type Sport
Lexus 220d
Seat Leon Reference 2.0 Tdi DSG 140
Seat Leon 2.0 TDI FR
VW Passatt 2.0 TDI Sport
VW Golf GT 1.4 FSI 170
VW Golf GT 2.0 Tdi 170 DSG

Because of the budget I gave myself, I chose an A3 Sportback 170 Sport as I knew I would be disappointed with just the 140Bhp Tdi - not that it wasn't miles better than my 125Bhp Laguna Diesel.

I had £500 / month as the allowance, I went for £362 / month for my A3 as I knew I would have to pay for TAX/Insurance/servicing/tyres etc etc

I took in a quote from Drive the Deal . co . uk to Audi and they matched it - saving about 10% of List Price and about £300 cheaper than What Car target price.

I have a spreadsheet with all the costs for fuel and insurance and tyres for 3 years if you would like it. And lots of opinion on the above models and dealers.

All of which might be far too boring for this forum, and people in general.

Still, ask and I shall bleat on and on.

I spent about six months deciding and testing these cars as I knew I would have to keep it for at least three years.

Apparently on a PCP you break even on about 2 years, so maybe I'll change it after that.

hope this helps in a small way.

Oh, and I was smitten on the Leon, just not the boring and bland interior.

spib
29-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the great answer, much appreciated! If you wouldn't mind sending me the spreadsheet that would be great. If you could pm me I can give you my email address.